Buying A MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hybridfx2, Jun 24, 2010.

1. hybridfx2 macrumors newbie

Whats up guys I'm a student going to university next year so cash is tight and I'm looking for a MBP. I found a nice deal on redflagdeals a canadian buy/sell market and found a good price for a 13" 2010 mbp thats sealed in the box.

What precautions should I take to make sure its legit? (the site is legit as I've done multiple meetups already)
    Should I meet at an apple store or something? thanks.

2. nic2991 macrumors newbie

I would really be questioning the legitimacy of the deal if it was under $1000.

And don't forget, since you're a university student you get $100 off the MBP you're looking at, $100 off a printer, free ipod touch and discounted iWork through the apple store.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I would think that if the site is legit, then the deal is as well. But I would still highly recommend paying via PayPal, it is a bit more secure, and I believe they offer protection against scams. If you are seriously questioning it, then I would say just go to the apple store, and do that. It's $100 off, which is pretty nice, and you know that if there is something defective about it, you can send it back and get it replaced.

4. hybridfx2 thread starter macrumors newbie

No its a local site so we will arrange a meetup place and time.
    He will let me open it in front of him, but im saying is there anything that needs to be checked out? how do i know the difference between a new and refurb model? (it is sealed)

5. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

new one has the nice shinny box. refurb usually has a brown cardboard box. other than that they are pretty much the same. yea, and some refurb might not have the new apple smell.

6. jolawson macrumors member

I'd be leary of this "deal". You know Apple has financing...which would be easier on the pocket for someone on a budget. I'm not saying finance everything you ever intend to buy...and get yourself over-indulged in debt, but something small like this...30-40 bucks/month...or a little more...will help build your credit if you dont have any/much. Just something to think about.

7. satchmo macrumors 68000

What ever you do, don't meet in a secluded location. You might very well just be robbed by thugs after initially meeting a nice respectable female seller who's in on the mugging.
    Common ploy with private sales found online.

8. DaveRobertson82 macrumors newbie

i wouldn't do a meetup really, you might aswell get edu discount from the apple store, they have financing aswell (monthly repayments rather then one lump sum [​IMG])