Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cadz86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Hey all, so I'm in a bind with regard to the selection of a new mouse. I've gone through several already and returned them because they didn't fit my needs. I liked the Logitech mx518 the best, but it didn't have mac drivers and I wasn't happy with steermouse or USBoverdrive (I had trouble achieving the functions I wanted.) I also tried the G5 but found it to be glitchy in OSX. I also tried using the MS wireless laser mouse 6000, which worked well in OSX, but didn't fit my hand at all.

So this is what I'm looking for: A mouse that is compatible with OSX and has enough buttons so that I can use the expose and dashboard functions without using the keyboard. I'm on the fence with regards to wireless... I game a bit and I don't want to get frustrated with non-responsiveness. I'm also open to bluetooth for ease in portability but how much extra battery life would that eat up? If anyone has experience with any of these questions, please do let me know.

One last thing... am I way overthinking my mouse selection?

Thanks!

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
what about the Apple bluetooth wireless mighty mouse? It's definitely tailor made for OS X.

i've used it for awhile now, and i find it works great. It does go through batteries quickly, but get some rechargeables and you'll be ok.

vorkorsigan

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2008
Toronto
Completely agree, I use this and it is all I need. Simple and does what I need.

The battery life though is fine for me? I have the same batteries in for over a month.

cadz86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
I should have prefaced with saying I started out with the bluetooth mighty mouse. I liked almost everything about it, until I tried playing Team Fortress 2. Because of the lack of independent left and right buttons and no up-down wheel, its just horribe. The ball isn't accurate when switching weapons for instance and often I will try left clicking and it will right click.

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
what about just getting a top of the line gaming mouse and use it when you game.

You can then use the mighty mouse for everyday use.

i think it's hard to find a mouse that will do both well.

I have heard good reviews on the MX Revolution mouse by logitech so you might want to check that out too i guess.

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
Completely agree, I use this and it is all I need. Simple and does what I need.

The battery life though is fine for me? I have the same batteries in for over a month.

I usually change mine once every 3.5 months, or 4 sometimes. :p guess i expect too much

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I have a Logitech Laser mouse (Logitech m-bz105a). It has drivers for OS X and buttons on it that let me invoke Dashboard, application switching, or Expose, among other things. I also really like that its scrollwheel works both in horizontal and vertical directions.

cadz86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
what about just getting a top of the line gaming mouse and use it when you game.

You can then use the mighty mouse for everyday use.

i think it's hard to find a mouse that will do both well.

My budget is such that I can only afford one mouse for the time being. I figured I may be asking for the best of both worlds but figured it couldn't hurt to ask. Has anyone tried the MS bluetooth notebook mouse 5000?

Knolly

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2007
I use a Logitech G7. With USB Overdrive you can get Expose on there, but it doesn't have the ability by default sadly.

It's wireless but I've never, EVER had a single issue with response, with the exception of when it was really close to a 2.4 ghz wireless router. I just changed it to 5 ghz and then was set.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Hey all, so I'm in a bind with regard to the selection of a new mouse. I've gone through several already and returned them because they didn't fit my needs. I liked the Logitech mx518 the best, but it didn't have mac drivers and I wasn't happy with steermouse or USBoverdrive (I had trouble achieving the functions I wanted.) I also tried the G5 but found it to be glitchy in OSX. I also tried using the MS wireless laser mouse 6000, which worked well in OSX, but didn't fit my hand at all.

So this is what I'm looking for: A mouse that is compatible with OSX and has enough buttons so that I can use the expose and dashboard functions without using the keyboard. I'm on the fence with regards to wireless... I game a bit and I don't want to get frustrated with non-responsiveness. I'm also open to bluetooth for ease in portability but how much extra battery life would that eat up? If anyone has experience with any of these questions, please do let me know.

One last thing... am I way overthinking my mouse selection?

Thanks!

No, you're not overthinking at all. Mouse is the most important device you have connected to you computer because its the one you use the most (all the time). They also tend to stay longer than computers themselves so it makes sense to get a good one, rather than go through 5 piss-poor mice per year.

If you want OS X drivers and you don't like USB OverDrive and Steer Mouse, your choices are limited. I got recently hooked on Razer mice when I got myself the green version of Razer Copperhead.

RAZER%20COPPERHEAD%20CHAOS%20GREEN.jpg

It doesn't have OS X drivers, but I used USB Overdrive and works with no problems.

The only 2 Razer mice that have OS X drivers are:

1) Razer Pro|Click 1.6

main-proclick.jpg

2) Razer Deathadder Mac Edition

deathadder_LRG2.jpg

The first one has similar shape to the Copperhead, but with few minor differences and was designed for the Claw grip.

The second one was designed for the Palm grip.

Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.