Buying a Nano

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by stockcerts, Apr 1, 2008.

1. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I am going to buy a Nano for my daughter in the next few days. I am thinking about ordering it from Amazon. Just thought I'd check in here to see if any of you have other suggestions as to where to buy it from.

Thanks!!

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

They're pretty much the same price everywhere, so honestly it doesn't tend to matter much.

3. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

buy it straight from Apple, that way you can have it wrapped straight to her, and you can have it engraved with her name on it for free.

4. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

I second this. Top noch quality for less, can't beat it. It also lowers your chances of having problems.

6. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

There can always be problems, you don't know what has happened to the ipod before they refurbed it.

The way I see it, is if a car has been in a wreck and sent to a dealers there a higher risk for problems. so I would assume electronics would be the same.

Is this gray driving anyone else crazy?

7. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

Would be grateful if you could explain why it reduces your chances of problems (no rudeness intended) as opposed into a brand new ipod...

this may be correct for a reason but i really struggle to see why...

8. stockcerts thread starter macrumors 65816

The price of the Nano is about $20- less at Amazon, and free shipping. I'm leaning towards that option. I'll probably pass on the refurb. If it was for me I'd consider it, but it would be cheesy to buy it for someone else as a gift.

9. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Yeah true, way cheesy.

If you discussed it prior, then maybe yes.

10. aethelbert macrumors 601

Not every new unit gets inspected for quality (<1%). However, all refurbs are fixed up and inspected for any problems. They're cosmetically fixed up and the chrome back is typically replaced unless it's not scratched much. Since the areas with the problems are replaced, it's basically like getting a new iPod that's been inspected for any problems while saving a bit of money.

Refurbs get inspected for problems at Apple at a higher rate than new units.

To the OP: I find no problems giving a refurb as a gift, but if it's $20 less at amazon, go for it. All I'm saying is that though it's unlikely that you'll have a problem with a new one, but it's even more unlikely with a refurb. It really doesn't matter because you get a warranty either way and Amazon's return policy is excellent.

11. stockcerts thread starter macrumors 65816

Buying a refurb is like buying generic cough syrup at Walmart. I don't mind saving the money and buying it for myself, but I'm not going to buy it for someone else. It smacks of cheapness. :eek:

12. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

So next question, have you decided what color you are going to get her?

But she'll love the ipod. Good choice

13. stockcerts thread starter macrumors 65816

I ordered her an 8gig blue model from Amazon. She has the video Ipod and it's over two years old and it's starting to act up. She don't use the video portion of her Ipod and I don't think she has enough music to warrant that much storage capacity. I have the ITouch, and there are times that a Nano would work better for me, like at the gym and on bike rides.

14. cherrybomb macrumors regular

cherrybomb

get it from an apple store if you can. It just saves a lot of time if anything goes wrong, at least you know you can take it back to the store and get another one.

15. stockcerts thread starter macrumors 65816

It's already been ordered from Amazon. They've always stood behind their products in the past.

16. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Amazon is a good way to go. No sales tax is most cases.
    I agree buying a refurb as a gift is cheesy.

17. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Excellent analogy. If this is a gift get a new one from Amazon, from my experience those RARELY have issues and Amazon is usually the cheapest around and has free shipping.