Buying a NAS

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kolax, Jan 30, 2014.

1. kolax macrumors G3

I'm looking to buy a NAS. Original plan was to build my own using a mini itx board, but considering all it'll be doing is retrieving data, I can't justify splashing out.

The Buffalo LinkStation 421E is what I'm currently looking at.

I have tomato firmware running my Asus router, and I'd quite like to use custom more open firmware on the NAS too.

Anyone have any suggestions?

2. DaveN macrumors 6502a

DaveN

I went with a Western Digital My Book. Originally it was intended to be my time machine backup drive but it is just too slow for that on my network. I don't know if it is some issue with the way I set it up or something inherent with NAS. Now I use it as a media server for movies and photos and works just fine for that.

3. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I have a Synology DS211 that I bought used. Does a great job for what I need it for, backups and media storage. Just recently upgraded it to 2 4TB drives. I like the software and the fact that they still support an older unit.

4. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

What sort of performance do you get with gigabit ethernet?

5. maflynn, Jan 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2014

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have a qnap and that works well, though synology is recommended here most of the time by members.

When I get to my MBP later today, I'll run blackmagic disk test to see the performance of my MBP->ethernet->NAS and post the results.

Edit: here's the results of my qnap
    DiskSpeedTest_Qnap.png

for giggles, I've attached the results from my Drobo Mini DAS which I now use for most of my external disk needs. I think if you have a single computer and don't need some of the other feature a NAS has to offer a DAS is a good choice as well
    DiskSpeedTest_drobo_TB_20131227.png

6. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

IIRC I got about 80 meg on reads with BlackMagic. Writes were slower but I don't remember how much.

7. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Thanks for the help responses.

The purpose of the NAS would be to serve media content to my laptop, but I'm now considering buying a mini itx board, putting Plex Server (and possibly some samba shares) on it and it'll do what I'm after.