Buying a new 13" MBP Friday...questions..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Andrew Henry, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

So here's the deal, first I was hell bent on a MBA, I HAD to have one, well then I started looking at the MBP and for the same price I can get a more powerful machine, with more ports, and less problems.

On Friday I'm picking up my new 13" MBP 2.53ghz, 250gb,4gb, etc etc. I'm picking it up brand new on Fort Lewis at the PX for 1489 tax free, I was originally going to buy a refurb, but I would have to pay tax to Apple and wait for it to be shipped and I would end up only saving about $20 bucks plus I would have to wait for it to be delivered.

So anyways, I have already bought a Speck Satin Hard Case and that should be here on Friday, and I also bought a Intel 80gb X-25 SSD, yes it's the first gen, but I have two of the X-25's in Raid 0 in my Mac Pro, and they freakin fly, the Gen 2 offers a little better performance but nothing that I will see in the MBP.

My question is, is there ANYTHING else that I should pick up for it? Obviously I have a MP that's maxed out, so this 13" MBP is going to be my travel laptop, I take my backpack everywhere with me, and use my Sprint 2200 MiFi (best thing I've ever owned!) for broadband internet.

Anyone have any recommendations for accesories that I should pick up? I really need a GOOD laptop bluetooth mouse, but I'm not looking to buy the V270, V470, or any of the Microsoft mice, other than those are there anything good out there?

Also what is the max amount of ram that this MBP can take? 6gb? Also when I got my original MBP (2.2ghz SR, 4gb ram..etc) I found a monitor color profile here on the forums that made it look outstanding, do these monitors suffer from the same thing?

If you have ANY suggestions whatsoever, please do tell me!

Thanks for your time

:apple: Andrew :apple:

EDIT: One more thing, do the Speck hard cases for the uMB fit on the uMBP?

2. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

From my perspective you are basically all set where you are. You have said that you are against the Microsoft mice, but I am currently using the Microsoft Arc Mouse on my computer (not bluetooth, but the USB-dongle is unbelievably small). If you are dead set against it then that is fine, but I still think you may want to consider it.

I believe that the max RAM that the new MacBook Pros can take is 8GB, but I am not 100% positive of that.

The Speck SeeThru cases for the unibody MacBook should fit the new unibody MacBook Pros (13"), as I do not believe that there were any changes.

3. celticpride678

Congrats on your purchase. You will love it!

Anyways,

I believe the maximum is 8GB of RAM.
    The Wireless Mighty Mouse is a very good mouse and I recommend it all the way. If not, check out Logitech, they are really good too.

4. Andrew Henry thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not DEAD set against it at all, I was basically singling the crappy MS mice, the ones with large USB-dongles, I suppose I could use a mouse that has a tiny dongle.. I'll check into it as I've heard great things about the MS Arc mouse.

Thanks,
    Andrew

5. gethyphyyo macrumors regular

Thanks! I'm typing on my 2.4 white MacBook while I finish setting up everything on my new MacBook Pro and the screen sucks on the 2.4 white MacBook.lol

I love the Led lit screen and the Led lit keyboard!!!

Also the Thread stater I'm in Washington state too!!

I

6. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

It is 8GB and I don't ever use a mouse sorry.

7. Andrew Henry thread starter macrumors 6502a

Where are you located bud?

Andrew

8. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Max ram is 8GB.

I like the microsoft wireless 5000 mouse. Its small and bluetooth. Has a back button as well. Got it for 20 or so.

Check Best Buy, I think they are selling the targus BT mouse cheap for some reason.

No personal experience, but from what people have said on here the MBP and older MB cases fit fine.

I just moved from Washington to Philly, kinda miss Seattle right now. Hate the Philly humidity.

9. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

It's your money but if you're going to stick a SSD in it, why not get the base model? For once the only difference besides the stuff you'll replace is a mere .27GHz proc. speed. Do you honestly think you'll notice it? The money you'll save will pay for the drive and RAM. Since you already have used SSD's, you know how much that will speed it up. With the X25 it will fly.

This is coming from a guy who always bought the most horsepower.;)

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You won't see a difference between the two cpu speeds but if you do get the SSD then that is where you'll see the money well spent.

11. Andrew Henry thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nah, resale value will be higher with the top of the line model, and besides, $1489 isn't a bad price, and I like to buy the best that I can afford. :)

I realize that, I have 2 of them in Raid 0 on my Mac Pro, and they fly, unfortunately I adopted early so I paid a premium, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't get paying that much more for a .2+/- difference in CPU speed.
    I get resale, but popping a SSD in there will give you a resale value that will hold better than that unnoticeable bump in CPU speed.

13. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I'd wager I'd get the same resale for a 2.26, 4G RAM and an Intel 160GB Gen. 2. And it adds up to less $'s spent. IMO a 160 SSD adds more value than minor CPU clock increase. Been through the numbers when I agonized over my purchase.

14. Andrew Henry thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ahh well either way, as I said I personally prefer to always buy the best computer I can afford, but that's just me, your guys mileage may vary. ;)

Also, buying this way, I get it tax free, and can pick it up tomorrow, I'm not patient at all! ;)

15. gethyphyyo macrumors regular

Spanaway.. new part. 224th ish

16. Andrew Henry thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha, Tacoma, actually right off Pacific Ave. on 112th.

17. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I am a BIG TIME MBA ADVOCATE, and my question to you is, DO YOU NEED THE EXTRA POWER?

Most people want more power in their Macs... but I don't believe most need the extra power, or more RAM, or seven hours of battery over four or five. I absolutely love my rev C MBA. It's extremely fast with SSD. It feels like a Mac Pro when connected to a 24" LED ACD. It does everything I need and want it to do and then some.

So, people are always saying buy the MBP 13" because it has more power, but the MBA is so much more fun. The MBA feels so much lighter and is extremely thin, it's like carrying a few magazines instead of a brick. The CPU at 2.13 GHz is a Core 2 Duo Penryn which will hold its own. It has the same Nvidia 9400m GPU. The RAM is DDR3 1066 MHz, and while it's "only" 2 GB of RAM, most Mac users don't need more than 2 GB (certainly not 8 GB). The MBA's display isn't glassy, it's stunning and glossy. A movie on the MBA is sure joy in the afternoon.

I think the MBA is the coolest Mac ever. It does everything you could want, and it only weighs three pounds. It feels like a desktop when plugged into an external display and can drive up to a 30" ACD.

Think about why you really need the MBP... and if you don't need the Pro features, I advise you to consider a MacBook Air.

Cheers and good luck with whatever you get.

18. Andrew Henry thread starter macrumors 6502a

Scottsdale,

I already picked up the MBP and I LOVE it, I really really wanted a MBA, but I just couldn't do it, I want to be able to put in a faster harddrive if I wanted to, without having to solder things an such. I also needed the FW 800 port and more than one USB port, if you look at my signature you'd know that I have a MP so I know what kind of power I do and don't need, and the MBA just wouldn't cut it, especially since the MBP and MBA were the same exact price and you get so much more for the money by going with a MBP. MBA's are a niche product, if you need / want it you know who you are and will buy it. I'm very happy with my MBP and if I had to do it again I would buy the MBP again.

Andrew