Buying a new 15" MBP. Need help concerning SSD.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Goride, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Goride macrumors newbie

I am going to be purchasing a new 15" MBP shortly. It will be my first Mac :). I'm pretty excited.

Anyway, I would like to get an SSD. I plan on setting up a NAS with around 2TB of storage. This will house all my large movie files, other media, and pretty much everything that takes up large amounts of space. Other than the OS and application files, of course.

I plan on having OSX as well as Windows7 via VMWare/Parallels. I also will have MS Office, a few other choice applications, and 1-3 games such as League of Legends installed. While I will have the NAS for media files, I will need to have a portion of the music locally on the laptop, for when I am away from home. It would also be nice to be able to put a few movies on it as well for long trips. (for instance I'm going on a 10 hour flight in a month).

So my question is, how much space does OSX, Windows7, MS Office for Mac, etc. take up? How much space would you estimate I would need?

I was thinking about going with the 128gb option from Apple. However, since I don't really do much video editing or any other real CPU intensive things (other than play games, but that is limited more by the GPU than the CPU) I'm thinking the 2.4ghz i5 will be fine. With that option Apple's 128gb SSD is $270.

For that price, I figure I'll just order one from Newegg. I see people recommending the Intel X-25m G2 all over the forums. However, that is over $400 for the 160gb. The price is reasonable for their 80gb version (about $220). But I am uncertain if 80gb will be enough. Given what I listed, do you think I'll fit on 80gb? Or should I go with another option that is around the 128gb mark. I'd prefer to stay within $200-$280 range, and I see there is an OCZ and Crucial one within those ranges, and they seem to have decent reviews. Any thoughts?

(note: for those who are unfamiliar with NAS, it is an external storage, and you can download files directly to it, as well as stream data like movies, without touching the SSD).

Side Note: I also have questions about NAS solutions. I am trying to decide between a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo and a Synology DS210j. I'm also open to other suggestions. If you know anything about NAS solutions I have another post here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=938323 . I would love any advice on that as well. I haven't got any responses yet :(

2. Goride thread starter macrumors newbie

Sigh.

I could have sworn I selected Macbook Pro, not Mac Pro. Sorry.

Could a moderator please move this?

3. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Hey, even though this is the MP forum, we can probably help you with your SSD question and I'd suggest you check out the reviews for the NAS solutions you are considering on www.smallnetbuilder.com.

As for the SSD, you will want at least 128GB for what you are planning... 80GB will not cut it (especially with a full load of MS bloatware on there :p). If you were just running OSX, then I'd say go for the 80GB. Intel's 160GB drives are certainly widely highly regarded and probably still your best choice... no one ever got fired for buying Intel SSD's. :D