BUYING A NEW 17 inch MACBOOK PRO AND NEED ADVICE QUICK!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Oeast11, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Oeast11 macrumors newbie

Oeast11

Hey everyone.... within the next two weeks I am recieving a 17inch macbook pro, and a 23 inch Apple HD Cinema display. I am also going to get an external hardrive, and the apple keyboard and mouse.

I need advice on what harddrive is the best to get right now i have in mind the "LaCie 500GB d2 Quadra Hard Disk" or the "Iomega 500GB UltraMax Desktop Hard Drive", are those two good or are their better ones?

ALSO im wondering if there is any other software/accessories that you cannot live without?

Hope you can help,
    Brent

2. ski2moro macrumors 6502

As a Recovering Windows User, I like to right click, so I have a wireless Microsoft mouse instead of the Apple one.

For DVD software, I like Toast. (And I got the Eye TV Hybrid to turn my MBP into a DVR. They work well together.)

I have 2 LaCie externals, a Western Digital Passport, and 2 Maxtors. My Time Machine uses one of the LaCie drives. My music resides on another. The others are for redundant backups. Better obsessive now than unhappy when the drive crashes. :eek:

3. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Did you really need the caps and exclamation points? Doesn't seem that urgent.:rolleyes:

Anyway, those are probably pretty good hard drives, I know Lacie is of good quality, and Iomega doesn't have a bad reputation. I generally try to stick with Seagate though. :)

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

If you have a choice, take a Firewire drive over a USB only drive.

The Western Digital MyBook drives have a reputation of problems when connected to Macs by Firewire.

5. Oeast11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oeast11

Thanks everyone!

Well it is urgent cuase i have to have the order in by tomm morning because im getting it through an organization but anyway.

I was looking and the Iomega 500GB UltraMax eSATA/FireWire 800/FireWire 400/USB 2.0 Desktop Hard Drive and i was wondering what the "eSATA" is?

and for anyone who has the LaCie d2 Quadra Hard Disk there are reviews on Apple.com saying that it is pretty noisy..is this true?

Keep posting,
    Brent

6. SwitchingtoMAC macrumors member

SwitchingtoMAC

make sure its a fire wire drive and if you go with Lacie make sure its a single drive not a raided one, you will know if its raided if the enclosure for it is bigger than a dvd box

7. smacky! macrumors member

get...

...the eSATA - it connects thru your expresscard slot; you'll have to buy an expresscard eSATA adapter (look on eBay - you can get one for 1/2 the price by buying a non-branded OEM kind - there's a US dist. who sells 'em) - if the drive is the LaCie, it'll come with the eSATA cable - 3g/per sec is so fast, i just can't express to you how extraordinarily slow everything else seems in comparison.

if you don't plan on using the drive to move big data files (video, music, w/e), then eSATA's not that critical. iomega's ok, too.

8. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

For eSATA use (faster data transfer rate than FW800) you'd need an ExpressCard34 adapter, such as:

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/tempo_sata_express34.html

Oops, smacky! beat me to the punch.

I haven't noticed the d2 Quadra being noisier than any other LaCie external drive. I'll try to fire it up again tonight and pay closer attention to noise, but with it sitting right next to my MBP, I wasn't about to "chuck it out the window".

9. smacky! macrumors member

sorry - didn't see this part - yup, it's 'noisy'. mine makes these weird clicky noises from time to time (and it's not the drive failing, checked it numerous times) while moving large files thru usb2; usually doesn't happen when i use the 400/800 or the eSATA connection, tho'...odd.

also, im not a big fan of LaCie's power connectors or their ports; poorly designed. but the enclosure is rock-solid to say the least. i will say that the drives they use are VERY solid and not prone to failure, esp. since i've got experience using them with high school kids! yikes! (sorry, if you're a high school kid, but they really manhandle the tech sometimes!) :p

10. smacky! macrumors member

yeah, but..

...2jaded you included a link, so props to that! haha!:D

11. Oeast11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oeast11

eSATA and RAM

thanks again for all the help.

with the eSATA is that really needed if i will only be using the computer for school, 40GB music some photos, watching movies and Garage band?

and is 2GB ram pleanty for school work, 40GB music some photos, watching movies and Garage band? or would you go with 4?

Thanks again,
    Brent

12. TimTheEnchanter macrumors 6502a

TimTheEnchanter

We have multiple LaCie drives here without problems, running 24/7 for 2+ years. Personally, I'm not a big fan of Iomega products since the old Zip drive days. Look into the OWC Mercury Elite Pro drives too. These are what we're soon replacing the LaCie drives with.