Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gwizzle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2008
Hey guys i just joined the forum seeking some advice from you seasoned professionals. I just graduated school and the sony vaio desktop i have had throughout school (a little over 4 years) finally died so i am in the market for a new computer. This is the one I am looking at:
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?nplm=FA878LL/A
Is it worth going with the aluminum over the old white ones? Should i get a 20" with a faster processor? Any comments, tips, suggestions are welcomed and appreciated!!! Thanks.

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
Hey guys i just joined the forum seeking some advice from you seasoned professionals. I just graduated school and the sony vaio desktop i have had throughout school (a little over 4 years) finally died so i am in the market for a new computer. This is the one I am looking at:
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?nplm=FA878LL/A
Is it worth going with the aluminum over the old white ones? Should i get a 20" with a faster processor? Any comments, tips, suggestions are welcomed and appreciated!!! Thanks.

What's your budget and what will you be using it for?

Morod

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
On The Nickel, over there....
From a totally biased view, I would stress going with the 24" iMac if at all possible. You will find uses for the extra screen real estate and the 24" being 8 bit over the 6 bit 20" is a definite consideration.
Good luck in whatever you choose, but at least looking at Apple products is a step in the right direction (for most of us). :)
Morod

Gwizzle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2008
gazfocus i would like to stay under $1500 and less would be good, hence the reason for going with the refurb unit. I dont use it for my job right now so mainly just browsing the net, some light photoshop work, and updating my ipod touch and downloading music. I was going to go with the 20" but for 300 more the 24" is looking very very good. Keep the suggestions coming guys!!!!

joytime365

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2007
Well personally I think this all depends on your own preference, if you like big screen you can just get a 24" imac, if you don't care that much and with limmited budget just go with a 20" imac. The other day I found a deal on a new 20" iMac for $1080. I think that's quite a good price. Anyway big screen is better, you can just get that refurbished 24" Imac, a nice choice also.

Gwizzle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2008
Ok thanks for the input guys. Im not really all about the 24" although it is awesome. If i can get a faster computer in the 20" for the same price i would do it. Is that possible? Can i get a 20" with a faster processor for around $1399?

jonswan

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2007
I'd go for the fastest 20 inch you can afford - the 24 is a behemoth and doesn't fit on normal sized tables, in my opinion. For your needs, THAT much real estate is probably unnecessary - and imagine trying to carry it. I work on my 20 inch and sometimes move it to another table to watch a DVD - which would not be possible with the 24 incher.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.