Buying a new battery for 2008 Macbook or not?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by francis21, Jun 19, 2011.

1. francis21 macrumors member

Hey guys!

Well, since I got my Macbook from a previous trade months ago, I kept seeing the message that says "Service Battery". Back then, after a few days trading my laptop for this Macbook, it appeared. But after I charged it, it didn't show afterwards. But now, its like a permanent message now in my battery indicator.

I searched the Apple Official Knowledge Base section, and many claimed that it was the SL that's causing this (I'm not sure why, but that's what I read when I skimmed through it).

When I clicked the link on the message that says "Service Battery", it says that I should bring it to an authorized Apple Service Provider (AASP to be exact).

The good thing is, I have the time to bring it today to an Apple Store. For those people who brought their laptop to an Apple Store for a computer check, is there any fees?

And specifically for this problem, do you think I should really bring it? Or just buy a new battery? By the way, this is the 2008 model of Macbook (white), with the removable battery. Thanks for the help guys. :)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, take it to the Apple Store. No, I don't think they'll charge you to check it out, but you can ask them before they do anything if there will be a charge.