Buying a new camera, EOS 7D vs T3i

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DanceDance, Sep 26, 2012.

1. DanceDance macrumors newbie

Hi, I am currently in the process of upgrading from my bridge and here are two deals that I am considering:

Canon eos 7D body only for 1150$ (canadian)
    Canon eos T3i body only for 499$ (canadian)

I know all the specs, construction quality, feel in my hands, I just can't seem to justify paying 650$ more for the 7D considering it's being probably replaced soon.

Knowing it is an excellent camera, would you go for the 7D over the t3i at these prices?

PS: I need help quick, the t3i deal ends tomorrow at a local camera shop.

2. Magrathea macrumors regular

7D is weather sealed. I sold mine and got a GH2. With the hack the pictures out of it are much better. Bother camera's have a softer image compared to the GH2. I believe you can use more lenses with micro four third cameras.

My 2c. If you wan't to go down the outdated cannon route then get the cheap unit.

On the negative side the ergernomics on the GH2 are horrible but *****, the pictures it puts out with the hack are amazing.

3. Callumbear845 macrumors member

First of all, the T3i and the 7D have identical sensors and accept the exact same selection of lenses, so image quality will be identical for either camera. The advantages of the 7D lie in a higher continuous shooting rate for more shots per burst, a different selection of controls, and better weatherproofing. The T3i has an articulating display which is useful both because it makes akward tripod shots easier and you can fold it with the display towards the camera to protect it during transport. I have a T3i and love it. I would not have bought anything but the T3i because there is nothing that I need in the camera that costs twice the price. The 3.7 frames per second on my T3i is very respectable. I find it comfortable to use at that rate. For the money, I would say go for the T3i and get some nice lenses. One last consideration, the T3i takes SD, SDHC and SDXC cards while the 7D only takes CF cards. I don't need the raw speed that really expensive CF cards give, so a 16gb 400x Lexar SDHC card has been fine for me, holding about 600 RAW shots or 2000 JPEGs. (I only shoot in raw with the exception being some sports photography where I use the much larger number of continuous shots shooting in JPEG allows, not having to wait for the cache to clear) I do not see much real benefit in getting the 7D. The 60D, on the other hand, gives the more professional controls and image processor while not being as expensive as the 7D. Take that into consideration. I would buy the T3i and a very good lens over the 60D or the 7D.

4. Bauer24 macrumors regular

Good post, I second the T3i recommendation. I have the T3i as well and really like all the features you mentioned, especially the SD card and folding display. OP, I'd definitely suggest spending the money you save on lenses no question.

5. saadishahid macrumors newbie

Both camera are good (and so is any other DSLR in the market), however I think that Nikon cameras have a slight edge in "budget" dslr category. But if u want to shoot video than canon is definitely a better choice. Save money on the body and put your savings for buying lenses.

6. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I went with a T2i when the T3i was released as I got a really good close out deal on it and couldn't be happier...I had 3 lenses to use from my Cannon film body days so that was also a plus or I would have gone with a comparable Nikon body.

Feature wise, I don't believe the 7D is worth it for what you described.

Good luck with your decision!

7. 100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

If you can't justify paying $650 more, then why do it? Did you buy a t3i?

8. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I have the lowly t1i. It is an excellent camera. I also have the iPhone 4. It is a somewhat awful camera. Almost never ready to take a shot. If it takes the first shot, God help me if I need another shot in less than 30 seconds. But it's the camera I always have with me so it winds up being used for 98% of my photos.

My next "camera" investment will be the iPhone 5. With a faster processor, hopefully I can get a half dozen shots done in the time my iPhone 4 would be fumbling around with the first shot. I always have my trust t1i for those times when I want to take better pictures but for everyday use, I wind up using my iPhone.

With iOS 6, I can now upload pictures to a shared photostream WHILE AT THE EVENT. This is a huge deal. I've been using eyefi cards for years but now that photostream offers the ability to create and share a public gallery right from my phone, it more than clinches the deal where my phone is my main camera. I also have a Canon SX110 point and shoot. I have it along more often than my t1i but still not nearly as often as my iPhone 4.

I have one good example of when my iPhone 4 kind of let me down. I was driving along in a traffic jam and realized the reason was a semi had jack-knifed in a horrible way that left the trailer hanging over the barrier in our lanes. I tried to snap a photo with my iPhone but it was busy. Busy doing what I don't know. I slowed down. I slowed down more. People behind me started blowing their horns when FINALLY the shot took. At least 100 feet after I wanted it to take but still capturing enough information to let you know something really bad had happened. Not nearly as good as a decent point and shoot or a DSLR like the t1i, but I didn't have those with me, did I? (No.)

Attached Files:

9. DanceDance thread starter macrumors newbie

Hum... sounds like a cool story, but why are you telling me this? Iphone5.. camera investment... I hope you aren't buying an iphone for the camera, first its a phone, second you'd be better off with a nokia as far as camera go.

I finaly bought the 7D, much more expensive but not only does it feel right, the focusing is out of this world. A red ring lens is on the way, can't wait to try it with an USM focusing system :D

10. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...sounds like the cash or a credit card were burning a hole in your pocket, have fun with your new toy:D

11. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Well, yes I am buying it for the camera, partly. But I don't have any delusions about the quality. It's a heck of a lot better than point and shoot cameras were only a few years ago and the fact I keep it with me all the time means I want the camera part to be as good as I can get without having to switch OS platforms. Nokia? I know the cameras are better but I also need a phone that works with the rest of my Apple stuff.

When I'm serious about photography and can plan ahead, of course I bring along my t1i dslr or my sx110 point-and-shoot. But for everyday use the iphone does well enough and when I can get my hands on one the 5 will do even better. I'm hoping to have a cameraphone that's good enough for me to get rid of my point and shoot altogether. I don't know if the iPhone 5 will quite fit that bill. I'm looking for better low light performance than I get with the 4.

Glad to hear you made your decision. I bet the 7D is very nice. Someday, I may get around to replacing the t1i. It may be with a dslr but I might just go for one of those micro 4/3 mirrorless models instead. I will have "downsized" my cameras: my sx110 into my phone and my t1i into a mirrorless job the same size of the sx110 with dslr performance.

12. logicpro7 macrumors 6502a

I bought a 7D a few months ago and love it... It has just been hacked for Magic Lantern, so expect it to be released in the next few weeks. :)

[​IMG]