Buying a new computer soon, need imput.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by OmegaForte®, Apr 9, 2009.

1. OmegaForte® macrumors newbie

So, Since Apple veered away from the PPC core, and is now using standard x86 hardware, I was wondering...

Is it worth the extra 980 dollars to get a Macbook Pro, or should I get a Dell Studio 17? Since they can be equipped the same, but the dell can have much better wifi, and I can get a card reader, and a Blu-Ray Drive?

I also heard that the Mac's don't like the Blu-Ray.

And I could install OSX on either one, right?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

You cannot simply install OSx on any x86 PC. Google hackintosh for more info. The OSx EULA doesn't allow you to install OSx on non-Apple hardware; granted that the legality of this hasn't been tested. Windows PCs rely on BIOS, where Macs rely on EFI.

Just because a blu-ray drive is available doesn't mean you can play blu-ray movies - OSx doesn't support it.

3. OmegaForte® thread starter macrumors newbie

But my Blu-Ray drive works in my PC, and I can use it with all of that. Aren't Macs supposed to be better?

So you're not familiar with the bios/EFI thing? A bios still exists in an EFI framework, because even though that firmware markup system can handle some of the bios work, there's still a bios. Nothing starts without a Basic Imput Output System. Your EFI still needs a bios.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

EFI is a superset of BIOS. You would need to go to a place like InsanelyMac.com or look at some of the Dell boards to see how easy or difficult it would be to install OSX on the Dell. Some hackintoshes are straightforward others require effort to get working and keep working.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensible_Firmware_Interface

5. OmegaForte® thread starter macrumors newbie

Well that answers a few things, what about the saving 980 dollars?

Oh I read that wiki. There's still a Bios. Says so right here. "The Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI) is a specification that defines a software interface between an operating system and platform firmware.", because the "firmware" in this case is the basic imput output system. The Bios.

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Do you need to run OSX? Would Vista work for you?

7. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

I mean it boils down to which OS you like. Obviously most people on this forum will tell you OS X is the superior OS and I think so too compared to Vista.

If you are comparing the Dell StudioXPS 17 vs. the MBP well, the Studio 17 is probably similar, though I have to wonder about some of its hardware's quality but I'm sure it'll get by. Personally it's a tough call, I don't mind windows XP, Vista no thanks, 7 we'll see. I would get the 15 MBP and save money. Unless you really want a 17. Then its up to you. I can't tell you what I'd pick. If you could Hackintosh it then Dell, but the Blu-ray player would not work.

8. OmegaForte® thread starter macrumors newbie

I keep hearing macs "work", but at uni, no one up here could get the video player to play 16:9 without screwing it up on the presentation laptop until she changed the resolution to 16:9, and then the play button was behind the dock.

9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Is that Quicktime? Never really had a problem with it but I don't use it that much. Most of the time, things "just work" for me.

10. OmegaForte® thread starter macrumors newbie

Right, but the thing is, I'm really torn.

I mean sure, if you look at it, I can get the same laptop from both companies. One can have a blu-ray drive, take just about any discrete/gaming video card that's compatible, and I don't have to worry about buying expensive adapters, specific accesories, I get bluetooth 2 internal, and I also get a card reader, and even though you guys don't like vista, I haven't had a problem with it. Sure it started out rough, just like XP did, and 2000. All of this AND more for 1310, and maybe a bag or something.

But, with the mac, I get a cool brushed aluminum case, an OS that has little to no support from third party coders, closed-list of hardware, expensive adapters and gender changers, accesories that require a second morgage, gestapo-itunes, stuck without any real heavy-duty media player, no blu-ray, no gaming and no future. For 2800 dollars, and I'll be lucky if it's got a decent hard drive.

I really don't see the differences in the hardware, it's mainly the OS. Sure, Macs are becoming more popular because they now use the standard X86 architecture, and that Intel nearly dictates what goes in them-meaning I can go buy crucial or OCZ memory for it and it'll work, and it won't cost me 500 dollars for another two gigs.

Both Vista and OSX use modified unix kernels, both are 64-bit, but it looks like OSX is more customizable at the user level, where as vista, best I can do is change the window glass (lack of a better word for the Aero window border junk) and a wallpaper. OSX will probably let me change almost all visual aspects of the UI, without too much hassle, since my friend has. But I don't really think that's worth 1500 dollars extra. It seems like the price isn't about the hardware, it's hyperbranded. I hate to sound mean or something, but I've always thought that buying a mac was taking money and throwing in the trash. Sure, four years ago, there was no such thing as a mac virus, now they're popping up everywhere.

I guess I'll just get a Dell. Thanks for your all of your input. You guys sure know your stuff.

11. cc6452 macrumors newbie

Is it just me or did OmegaForte sound like a new Microsoft commercial in the making?

12. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

It sounds like you would be better off with the Dell then for your needs. But I take issue with your mac 'viruses popping up everywhere'. There are a couple of exploits in the wild, and they're all trojans which require the user to do something foolish (say, download pirated software) to work.

There's tens of thousands of windows exploits that affect users every day, all over the world. Many just require a system to pull up a web page with the latest edition of internet explorer, for pete's sake!

And the reason why blu-ray doesn't just work is that apple didn't want to give into content producers like Redmond did, and put in a lot of content protection that would limit consumer choice and possibly effect the operating system. Besides, Apple would rather you buy high def content from iTunes instead of from someone else.

Try the insanelymac and other hackintosh forums to see if you'd be able to do a dual boot on the rig you're considering. That may be your best solution for the moment. Good luck.

13. old-wiz macrumors G3

"vista uses a modified unix kernel"? HA. Microsoft wrote their own. If you have ever looked into the actual source code of Windows you would see it's a mess.

OSx is based on Darwin.