Buying a new Dell laptop

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by c073186, Sep 8, 2012.

1. c073186 macrumors 6502a

I know this is in an Apple-related forum, but I thought I might as well still just ask. I'm going to be getting a new Dell laptop for work in the near future and I was wondering if anyone here knows if now would be a good time to buy? They use the Intel Core i5 processors... are those relatively new or scheduled to be replaced soon?

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Not sure, but I just got a new Dell laptop for work, and it's quite great. Well, the screen isn't nearly as good as my Mac's, or any of my Mac laptops since my 12" Powerbook, but everything else about the laptop is good.

3. Rossagues macrumors regular

Rossagues

Hope the people in the forums dont slaughter you too much!

4. c073186 thread starter macrumors 6502a

For what it's worth, I own a PowerBook and Mac Pro for home use! I just figured that since Mac's now use similar processors as Dell, that the question would still be relevant.

5. Rossagues macrumors regular

Rossagues

Dell's are great machines and great value too. My parents prefer to use PC's... (For some reason) and the Dell's do exactly what they say on the tin. Good offers for Windows 8 right now too!

Check out the Inspiron 17R SE. Good base model brand new: 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i5-3210M processor (3M Cache, up to 3.10 GHz). But you can customise all the stuff on it to your liking. Maybe get a new price. Cheap prices now because of back to school and super cheap throw in Windows 8 deals too!

6. G51989, Sep 8, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2012

G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

If you spend a little bit of money, you can get a Laptop every bit as good as an Apple Laptop for normal use.

Dell offers tons of BTO options, so many its pretty crazy actually.

And no Apple dissing, BUT. Dell updates their computers very rapidly, they don't do the whole " wait over a year to update hardware "

7. c073186 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the responses. I guess what I'm trying to ask is - is Intel rumored to be releasing some great new updated chip that I would want to wait for or are the current chipsets out there going to still the newest for a while?

8. Batto macrumors newbie

I think the new cpu Haswell comes in Spring 2013 so they are several months away.

9. AngryGerbil macrumors 6502a

AngryGerbil

Ivy bridge was just released but laptops with the newer chipset are fairly pricey.