Buying a new imac? and SSD ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Babba, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Babba macrumors member

Hi there,

I own a macbook pro 2.66 unibody. I was thinking to get a desktop like the new imacs..but are they worth the money? Should i buy an external monitor and use with my macbook pro?

And what about SSD disks..would it increase the performance if i buy one for my mbp?

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

SSD are worthwhile upgrades, it's the biggest single performance upgrade you can do to your mac. Search the forums for threads on the intel and ocz vertex ssd, they are the best out the moment.

3. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I concur, once you put an SSD in your Mac you'll never use go back to a regular hard drive again.

4. glennsan macrumors regular

The new iMac's are going to cement Apple's #1 position in not only the all in one but the over $1,000 market as well. Excellent processor (up to a quad core), 16GB ram capability, 1 TB HD, I could go on for a while. You can probably tell that I really like them. You would save money by just buying a monitor tho. Only you know which is best for you.

Glennsan

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

6. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Go with an intel. I had a vertex for a while, had trouble with it initially for 2 months, then suddenly had no problems for another 2 months, and then it just died out of nowhere in its 5th month. It took 6 weeks for OCZ to give me a refund since they had no 250 GB drives in stock.

I bought a G2 intel drive with the money and couldn't be happier.