Buying a new iMac for the Holidays, now or never?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Olleh, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Olleh macrumors member

Hi guys,

My son really wants an iMac for Christmas, however, i've heard lots of buzz surrounding new iMac's or whatever. Any tips or advice on what to do?

Thanks in advance.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The current lineup is the holiday lineup.

MacWorld in the second week of January will bring a slew of new things. WAIT.

3. Olleh thread starter macrumors member

Is the iMac due for a new update? Are the updates actually better? Will it be worth the disappointment of Christmas to say just wait a few weeks for something bigger and better?

4. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

an iMac sitting under the christmas tree is the stuff of story book christmases. And I would say go for it :) I doubt the new processor bump with the updates will make a significant difference, not one you'll feel in everyday use anyways. :)

5. Italchef macrumors 6502

This is always the question with Macs. What will he use it for? The general consensus is that the iMacs will get a speed bump and new graphics cards. Regardless, if he really wants it and if he doesn't need the state-of-the-art machine, go ahead and get it for him. Ultimately there's always going to be something new in another 6 months or so anyway, so why not now? I bought my iMac a little over a year ago and its gorgeous, fast, and perfect.
    The one thing is: the new graphics cards are better for gaming. If he's a big gamer, this might be something to consider waiting for. I'm no techie so perhaps someone else can give you more information on the new cards in regards to gaming. Hope I helped in some way.
    Mick

6. macall75 macrumors member

Christmas is only one day, think were rushed into buying things just for the sake of it, Iam waiting anyway, dont mind just waiting a few extra weeks, Ive waited this long, think they'll be significant enough updates to it, but I wouldnt say no to a new imac under the christmas tree either.

7. Olleh thread starter macrumors member

I'd hate to wait and then find out there has been a massive price increase. I am getting him the cheapest one (£799), and he'll be using it for word processing, internet surfing, listening to music etc. - not gaming or video creation.

I'm in two halves here: do I wait to find out there's nothing that special new and it's more expensive, or do I get one now, then find out a newer one has come out weeks later that's generally better.

8. wadejc85 macrumors 6502

Give him a gift certificate for the price of a new iMac. :p

Your son can decide.

9. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

If the iMacs go the way of the MacBook at MacWorld, you might be happy you bought now. I would not be surprised to see them drop dedicated graphics and Firewire on the 20" model.

Mind you, that wouldn't make any difference for his uses anyway.

I say buy now. Even if there is a significant revision, you won't notice it on a machine used for word processing and the internet. But unwrapping an iMac Christmas morning would be a really nice gift, imo. :)

10. macall75 macrumors member

I Agree, you won't be disappointed by the low end imac, it has everything you need it to do, only reason why Iam waiting is the better screen and graphics card and hopefully more ram

11. Halsey12 macrumors regular

12. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

It's difficult for kids to wait. I understand he wants it for Christmas. It is an important day for kids and families. As a father, I always understand what I wanted when I was that age whether it was five or eighteen. Based on that, I would buy it and be my kid's hero on Christmas. The month would be a long wait, and waiting until after Christmas would probably make no difference in the value of the iMac to your kid.

Now, for some people Christmas and being a hero to kids means nothing... Those are arguably the smartest ones of all of us. They are the ones that live unhappy lives and would rather work than being with their family. Hey, I will take being called stupid to make my kid's Christmas anyways.

As long as your kid appreciates you, and is generally a good kid, buy the iMac for Christmas.

13. macall75 macrumors member

They must be looking to get rid of a lot of stock before macworld

14. Italchef macrumors 6502

After reading your last post I would buy now. He'll love a new iMac for Christmas, who wouldn't? You won't see anything in the new iMacs that would be worth him waiting for.
    Mick

15. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Like many others, I say buy now.

Waiting till January will probably bring another gig of RAM and a better graphics card. For what your son does, the current machine will be more than enough. Plus, there's nothing like waking up Christmas morning to an iMac! The smell of a new Apple product alone will dazzle him.

16. eleven59 macrumors regular

eleven59

i went ahead and got the low end imac. could i have waited? sure, but then id find myself saying well if i wait another so many months a newer one with faster this or that will be out, and frankily ive been waiting 3 yrs to get a mac. glad i did too bc it has both firewire specs...

nothing wrong with getting one now.