Buying a new iMac this week

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jamesp57, Oct 22, 2011.

1. jamesp57 macrumors newbie

Buying my first iMac to replace an aging PC. I will installing Adobe Design Premium at first followed by either VMWare or Parallel for windows and Windows XP or 7 later for my CAD/CAM programs (I have a newer laptop to run these programs for the moment).

I'm going with the 27" 3.4 I7 with either the 6970M 1gb or 6970M 2gb. I would like to upgrade the memory to 16gb but the extra $600.00 seems a little high considering the current retail price of memory from Crucial and others. If I make the upgrade myself does it void the warranty. Swapping the memory looks like a piece of cake on the iMac.

2. Glen Quagmire macrumors 6502a

Installing memory does not void your warranty. It is considered a "user upgradeable" part. There is even an article on Apple's web site that tells you how to do it:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1423

3. Macguy76 macrumors regular

Macguy76

The ram Upgrade is definitely worth it. I have the iMac you are considering purchasing and I use it for photo editing mainly among other things. I upgraded the ram to 16GB for $165 through Crucial.com.

Makes a big difference!

Oh yea, I didn't go with the 2GB video card as I didn't see the need for using it. I don't game or do any serious video editing outside of Final Cut Pro X.

4. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It does not void the warranty. Even Apple sales staff can tell you that this is considered a user serviceable part :) Crucial is a good choice and they sell it directly. Just make sure you order 4x 4GB sticks rather than 2x 8GB ones. $100 is a little steep just for the extra vram. Outside of a few circumstances I'm not sure it's going to provide any advantage especially on a mobile gpu (well that model is sort of built like an underclocked desktop gpu but whatever). I can't find any real test comparisons between the two gpu options there.

Good call on a lot of ram if you intend to run heavy software via Parallels or fusion. Some of those programs are certified under one or the other if they don't have an OSX version. You might research that before making your choice. Some of the third party retailers used to bundle one of the virtualization packages free when you bought a new system. I can't find any such promotions right now though :(

5. Kendo macrumors 68000

The refresh is due out in 2 to 3 months. Can you last that long without it?

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

6. jamesp57 thread starter macrumors newbie

If this wasn't my main system I would say yes. It was my last build (10 years ago) and just can't keep up with current software.

7. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Ridiculous, this guy knows no more than the average guy on the street.

8. Kendo macrumors 68000

I never claimed to know. You've been a member here since 2009. Surely this isn't the first time you've seen the Buyer's Guide? And yes, I am fully aware it is in no way accurate but should give a general idea regarding the cycle of Apple refreshes.

9. BarkingGhost macrumors regular

Got a link handy for this specific kit?

10. jamesp57 thread starter macrumors newbie

Looking forward to the new mac. One other question, anyone tried Corsair's SP2500 speakers with their iMac?

I'm not a gamer but music is a must in the office.