Buying a new iMac.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rKunda, Mar 17, 2015.

1. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

I'm looking for advice.

We currently have two computers: a 2008 macbook and an older Intel iMac (2006 or 2007 I think). Both are along in years and it's time to get a new one.

I'm not in school anymore so I don't need a laptop. I don't play games anymore, ether. I usually only use the computer to access the main program of YNAB and pay bills. Occasionally I print things or mess with photos. Basically I've gone from a power user to I can just do things on my phone in a decade.

My wife does a lot more by volume but not by complexity. She saves files for homeschool projects. She uses Pinterest. She plays music. We're basic users now. Most tasks have gone mobile, except what cannot and file storage.

I want an iMac. My instinct is to go all out and buy the 21"maxed out (top processor, max ram, and 1tb fusion drive).

I know we don't need that now. My thinking is the better computer will last longer (I mean we're going on 7 years for the macbook and 8+ for the iMac.) That and I can't replace the RAM on the smaller screen iMac. If anything can be cut, I think the hard drive could be standard and be sufficient.

But it is expensive. About $1000 for the base iMac or about $2000 top end (sans large SSD). Is it worth it?

Would we be better off with the low end one and just replacing it sooner? I'm caught in total paralysis analysis.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

You won't use the RAM

Take a look at this

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1756865&highlight=how+much+ram+do+i+need

8GB will be easily more than enough, that quad core i5 is perfect for you for many years.

In fact the only thing really worth having is ssd or fusion drive because they give a much faster fluid user experience all round.

3. imaccooper macrumors regular

imaccooper

I agree completely. If you really want an iMac the first upgrade I would make would absolutely be a SSD or fusion. Unless you start using power apps again, an i7 and i5 are virtually identical in performance. At this point 4GB of ram would have been enough so the 8GB option will be plenty for the next several years of updates.

You can get a brand new 21" iMac from the apple store with 2.7 GHz quad core i5, 8GB of ram and a 256 GB SSD or 1TB Fusion for $1,499. You can get an even better discount from the refurb store if you are looking there.

4. rKunda thread starter macrumors 65816

rKunda

5. rKunda thread starter macrumors 65816

rKunda

Well I went a totally different direction. My wife said she'd like large screen, so I went with a refurbished retina iMac. I've never seen one in person. Super stoked.

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Awesome

I don't own one but they look fantastic the screen is amazing.