buying a new iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by msett, Nov 28, 2007.

1. msett macrumors member

Hey Guys,

I am thinking of buying an iMac in the next few weeks. I am one of those Mac lovers but still have to have my windows based computer at times. I previously used a Powerbook that now my sister uses so I will be coming back to Mac after a few year hiatus. So I can't decide between the 20" 2.0 and 20" 2.4. My current desktop has a Pentium 4 3.4 ghz. How is that comparable at all to the Core 2 Duo in Macs? What chip platform is Apple currently using?

I mostly will be doing school work, lots of internet surfing, pictures, music, burning dvd's. Some gaming but not a hardcore gamer. Is the graphics card on the 1299 Mac ok for any game use or is it pretty bad?

Thanks

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

The C2D chip will make your P4 look like a pocket calculator. The graphics card isn't too bad, but don't expect to be playing Crysis at full graphics :p

3. NEiMac macrumors regular

I would go with the 20" 2.4Ghz ATI 2600 model, I think you will be happy with either one really, think the next step up would future proof you a little better. From what I have heard the ATI 2600 is quite a bit better then the ATI 2400 at gaming. I have the 20" 2.4Ghz ATI 2600 model, great machine I love it now that allot of the bugs have been fixed with updates.

4. msett thread starter macrumors member

Do you think the iMac will be updated much in Jan? Should I wait?

5. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

it was last updated in August, so whatever updates - if any - would be minor.

6. Jonx macrumors 6502

Jonx

I'm praying for screen fix :(

7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Could be updated to Penryn chips (and maybe new graphics, but I doubt it because apple seems to be sticking with graphics options for 2 generations since the switch to intel) in January. August-January is a pretty typical timeframe for an imac update, so we could definitely see something new, but probably nothing earth-shattering (we did just have a redesign after all).

8. motomac macrumors member

Get the 2.4 Ghz version. Then go pickup BootCamp and a copy of XP so you can have XP on your mac. Then update the GPU drivers on the windows side for the ATi 2600 thats built in and enjoy! Many mac users report that running games on the XP side with bootcamp actually improved the gaming experience.:cool:

You can do it all on the iMac!:D

9. msett thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice so far. Its going to be a tough decision. See I was not planning to even buy a computer in the first place since I bought a Windows based 1400 dollar laptop this past summer... But I need a new Mac to play around with. I was previously thinking of getting the Mac Mini but since I would be spending 799 on it, I might as well buy 1199 iMac. But now deciding to jump to 1499 is another tough decision. lol

I really don't need to be buying a computer but I want it. How often do refurbished 2.4 GHZ iMac's come available? They were just for sale but now gone on the Apple Site. Do stores still have refreshed iMac's occasionally.

:apple: