Buying a new iMac...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by spencecb, Apr 30, 2009.

1. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

I'm getting a new 24" iMac this weekend, so just wanted to share my excitement!!!! Taking advantage of that 0% financing with the credit card through Apple.

I've decided on the 2.93 GHz with the nVidia 120. I can't swing the extra money for one of the better chips, so I'm hoping this one will be just fine. I've read some stuff about it, but it's hard to read through people's opinions and what is actually fact.

Regardless of the video card, it's sure to be leaps and bounds better than my aging iMac G5. Don't get me wrong, it has been a great computer, and I've enjoyed having it, but it's just not able to keep pace with some of the newer things that I want to do.

It's time to joing the modern Mac era. I had a MacBook Pro for a time, so I've owned an Intel Mac, but I ended up selling it, just wasn't using it nearly as much once I purchased my iPhone.

Mainly will be using the new iMac for gaming and taking advantage of the new iLife '09. I have MobileMe and want to take advantage of making my own website, and getting back into some lite photo editing. I'm also a writer, so will be writing and publishing on my iMac.

I have made the decision to install Windows on it as well, for the sole purpose of being able to play some games that don't ship on OS X. Never thought I would do that, but there's just no way around some things :mad:

Anyway, just wanted to get that all out there!

2. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

Congrats!

I got the same configuration as yours and I love it!

3. spencecb thread starter macrumors 6502a

spencecb

What has your experience been with the nVidia 120? Do you game much? Is it acceptable and do you see it having some "future-proofness?"

4. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

Umm... I don't game at all, sorry.

I do a bit of photo/video editing, and it has been fantastic. In terms of future-proofness, I don't know. I hope so. :eek:

5. spencecb thread starter macrumors 6502a

spencecb

Fair enough. Can't wait to get my hands on it!!

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I'm sure you'll be happy with it. Congratulations!

7. hoonu macrumors regular

When did you apply for financing? We are having a delay on the reply for financing and we have excellent credit. Apple rep on the phone said they were swamped...

8. spencecb thread starter macrumors 6502a

spencecb

I did it online and was approved right away. I haven't gotten the card in the mail yet, so that's why I don't have the new computer in front of me. It should come either tomorrow or Saturday so I can go purchase the new iMac.

9. hoonu macrumors regular

What day did you do it online tho. I'm wondering if there is some relation to time. We did it around 4pm on Monday which is 3 days before the promotion ended. I'm wondering if they were either overloaded or just stopping the rate of acceptance. Something tells me that since she used the same number for her work number as her home number (since she works from home but is a W2 employee) that they may have flagged it for further review.

10. spencecb thread starter macrumors 6502a

spencecb

Did mine on Saturday late afternoon. Not sure that the phone # would have had anything to do with it.

I didn't realize the promotion ended so soon! I'm glad I did it when I did! The terms of the card says that the 0% is good as long as the initial purchase is done within 30 days of being approved for the card.

11. iNew2Macs macrumors newbie

Congratulations on your new iMac. :D

I too think the no finance charge is good. If it was 24 Months then apple would be the best to get. Especially for the higher end models.