Buying a new iPad -Black or White? Which Keyboard Case?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Avro, May 27, 2012.

1. Avro macrumors regular

Avro

Buying a new iPad -Black or White? Which Keyboard Case?

Title says it all.

I'm going to buy a 64BG iPad :D and would like to know whether white or black is better and who makes the best keyboard case. Main use will be for Writing (Scrivener when it hits the iPad later this year) and presentations (Keynote), but the usual everyday stuff too.

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

That's a preference wrt color. I like black because the bezel doesn't standout in low lighting, whereas white looks different.

As far as cases go, I purchased the Poetic iPad 3 case on Amazon.com for $12.95 and couldn't be happier. It's a rubberized case and all of the holes and cutouts line up PERFECTLY. Why rubberized? Because it absorbs shock in case it's accidently dropped and it has a grippy feel.

3. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

Agreed.

Black doesn't show the bezel boundary as much.

But white also has its advantages in that it doesn't show fingerprints.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The Poetic cases are very nice and inexpensive. They covers support the iPad auto sleep/wake function like Apple's smart covers.

4. iEvolution macrumors 65816

I like white better than black but due to the tendency of white to "yellow" over time I had to pick the black one.

Now I'm not sure if the iPad suffers from yellowing but I had a 5th gen iPod that started to yellow.

5. Rodster macrumors 68040

Has that been fixed? I can see white plastic yellowing if exposed to UV such as sunlight. Here in Florida that would be a problem but if the iPad is indoors I can't imagine it turning yellow.

6. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

If you want to get the zaggfolio, I would recommend black as it complements the casing and keyboard better. :)

7. Bob- macrumors newbie

I have a black 1 and went with a white 3. Between the two there is much more contrast between the screen and bezel when reviewing PDFs, web pages, etc. on the lack, which is why i will go with white again. the white "feels" lighter to me. It's especially nice when reviewing financial plans with clients and it's as if the entire pad and not just the screen is the page.

8. Rodster macrumors 68040

Does the white iPad turn yellowish?

9. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I picked white for about the same reason. IMHO it's a lot easier in the eyes when reading for a reasonable duration because you don't have that stark white-to-black transition on the edges. Case wise it's a bit harder to find a good one. I'm going the back Gellaskin wrap and Orange smart cover route.

10. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

No it wont turn yellow. I have a white 4s and white iPad. They're both nice colors and people shouldn't lose sleep trying to pick which one.

11. Bob- macrumors newbie

I hope not! Haven't seen that to date....

12. WindWaker macrumors regular

White: Much better for reading, internet, white backgrounds (i.e. snow) and blue brights backgrounds, doesn't show fingerprints, better outdoors (doesn't overheat due to color but also doesn't have as much glare)

Black: Movies/ general film watching, doesn't show dirt, better for darker backgrounds, more "standard" in a professional environment.

Personally, I prefer white just for the color, but I also do WAY more reading and typing than watching videos, so white suits my needs better. Ultimately, it's a matter of color preference IMO (although based on what you specified I'd go white).

13. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

14. jackyyeow macrumors 6502

Not sure about others, I find white frame makes the display looks dull when set to lower brightness when using it indoor. Agreed on the movie watching thing. I also don't like the black line around the display, the bazel doesn't fit the display edge to edge.

15. Rodster, May 27, 2012
    Last edited: May 28, 2012

Rodster macrumors 68040

Yes that's the one :)

It's not leather but a rubber textured. They do have a simulated leather version of it. I prefer the rubberized version. I got black but they have other colors too.

EDIT: Oh I forgot there is one drawback to this case bit it's not a big deal for me is that you can't lay the cover flat on the back because of the way it's designed. It does however fold into a tripod so you can angle the iPad for watching movies

[​IMG]

16. jtoepel macrumors newbie

registered to respond

You're going 64GB, so I assume that you have some extra cash to float around.

I've been doing far more content creation and project management on my iPad than content consumption. I went with the white and the green ploy smart cover and it's awesome. I can carry it around to meetings and it's slim and always on my person.

The white disappears in the pitch black, only "appearing" in low-but-present light conditions. In daytime, I really like the white bezel for reading and working on documents.

Re: THE CASE.
    DO NOT GET AN INTEGRATED KEYBOARD CASE THAT IS ALWAYS ATTACHED. THIS IS THE WORST. (buy a MBA instead if you think you need a KB all the time)

What I use, LOVE and registered just to proselytize:

Get the Apple BT wireless keyboard and the Origami case instead. (Case is HERE)

1) You'll find that you don't really need a KB as often as you think you do. For small notes and texts, you're better off with the onscreen board + the surprisingly accurate dictation
    2) When you DO want a KB (and you will) you'll want a full sized, well designed KB. None of the integrated boards are worth a damn.
    3) When you're working at your desk and need to head off to a meeting, the toilet, the bus, whatever you just grab the ipad and go... leaving the Origami waiting your return
    4) The case supports portrait + landscape view

Three cons here:
    1) Simply picking up and leaving for the next door room keeps your KB synced and you have to go in and turn of BT to get your onscreen KB back. Jailbreaking makes this relatively simple
    2) The Keyboard is 1-2 inches wider than the ipad when placed next to each other. I'm over it. You'll be too.
    3) Technically not airplane safe. I've never needed to use it, but currently against the FAA/FCC rules for inflight signals. On flights I usually catch up on my Pocket account or play a game or two to relax. I rarely work.

Disclosure: I just went 2 weeks on the road with this combo... doing all of my work on iPad. I want to pursue a community of robust content creators who demand usable business tools like above (and also touch-sensitive stylus SUPPORT, Efficient BT toggles, complete Office and iWork compatibility, etc)

17. ric275 macrumors member

ric275

White, for many reasons!

I had the first 2 iPads in black and decided to go for my third in white. I will never go back! The fingerprints dont show up, if you decide to get a smart cover it goes with any colour, in my opinion it brings out the retina display and it looks just so damn beatiful! Go for white any day! :) :apple:

18. iCrosoft macrumors regular

iCrosoft

Black iPad but it really doesn't matter for me because it'll live in an otterbox all it's life..