Buying a new Ipod classic..

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by inertiazero, Jan 19, 2009.

1. inertiazero macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Since Macrumor's buying guide says the product is in it's midcycle do any of you guys think I should wait until whenever the new updates come out or just buy it as I don't really see how much more this thing can change anyways.

Thanks

2. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

yeah not really sure how much apple can change it anyways. They might even discontinue it.

My advice is go for it as it's an excellent ipod. I'm considering either this or one of the refurb classics

3. Norco macrumors regular

About a week or two ago I bought an 80gb black iPod Classic for $169 from the refurb store and it was worth it. I hear of people having tons of issues with ipods within a year or two (assuming most are new) so I figure why not save money up front? Besides the white box the refurbs come in, it is in perfect condition.

4. suburbia macrumors 6502

Buy it already:) The iPod Classic is fantastic; unfortunately, I think it has become the red-headed stepchild that Apple neglects.

5. Lissa22 macrumors newbie

I have one and still does what its supposed to do ;) Got a good deal on it.

Lissa
    [​IMG]

6. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

It's neglected because they can't really do anything to make it better. They have to conform to the 1.8" hard drive size, and at this point they've got the interface down pretty solidly.

It'll probably be discontinued eventually, but not until the price of flash storage more appropriately matches the price of magnetic storage per GB.

7. Carl Abudephane, Jan 21, 2009
    Last edited: May 6, 2012
  8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Not sure if you're familiar with machining/assembly processes, or if you've ever cracked open an iPod, but there is very little space inside. Machining a solid aluminum case with a total of 4 holes to less than a millimeter thin in a) expensive and b) time consuming. Not to mention I have no idea how you'd automate the process of inserting the hard drive (which is wider than the screen, so you wouldn't be able to fit it inside using this method) and the circuitry.

Just buy an iPod touch? Again, this comment shows an ignorance of the engineering challenges associated with designing something of this nature. Touch screens require a sensor underneath the screen, which in turn adds more to one of the dimensions of the product. Since the only place to put the hard drive is underneath, you can't add capacity without making the thing thick, heavy, and therefore undesirable.

Why waste time creating a virtual click wheel when that would take up a very large portion of the huge screen you're advocating for something that you can do with the touch of your finger? If it's so intuitive and you want it there all the time, then why have a full-screen iPod?

Please do...

Honestly I think your only complaint is that you can't fit all 200 GB of your music onto your iPod at once. I still find it mind-boggling that people think that they listen to 200 GB of music randomly and that somehow 120 GB (or 160 GB) worth of space is insufficient to hold the music they listen to the most frequently. Here's an idea: In iTunes, sort your music by Play Count and delete the stuff that has a blank in that column. I'm willing to bet that with a sufficient number of cuts (played 1 time, 2 times, etc) you'll be able to bring your iTunes library down in size very signficantly.

9. jayb2000 macrumors 6502a

jayb2000

if it fits your needs

I have one and really like it. I would have preferred the 160 but did not have the extra cash at the time.

Carl Abudephane had some good points, I would prefer it to be thicker, like my old 3rd gen 30 gig was .73 inches thick.
    The 120Gb classic is .41 inches thick. So use the extra third of an inch to make a touch screen.

I don't care about a virtual wheel, but it seems like an easy multitouch gesture to make a circle or such.

As for the storage size, with almost 1000 CDs ripped at 256, 10,000 photos, and the desire to do movies, I would love to have that much space.

10. MAUDIVISION macrumors newbie

I own more than 3000 original CDs and I would have loved to buy 500GB iPod ! Carrying in your pocket your entire music library is great but the 160gb I own is not enough!!