Buying a new ipod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by blackshadow1998, May 18, 2011.

1. blackshadow1998 macrumors newbie

Hey so i'm buying a new ipod touch. I currently have the 2gen (10th bday present) but now that the 4gen has a camera i want it, and bad. i already have all the money, but i was wondering if i should wait for 5gen. I mean, i could buy a 4gen now and save again if i want a 5gen, but if 5gen turns out to just be small changes like from 2gen->3gen then i wouldn't need to buy it. Like i said, money's not really a problem.

It strikes me as a paradox. If i were to buy 4gen, i would probably end up buying 5gen or 6gen at most. However, if i waited i would not be able to take pics or have superior screen quality until 5gen came out, at which point i might be tempted to wait for 6gen. Does anyone else find this horribly paradoxical?

So...should i go for 4gen or wait for 5gen?:confused::confused::confused:

2. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

Take the plunge. Own the decision. You can always start saving for the next one once you purchase this one. Then ebay the 4th gen once you get the 5th or 6th gen. Just food for thought.... :apple:

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

If Apple starts their student plan (MacBook with free iPod Touch) you'll see BNIB iPod Touches in many Buy&Sell sites going for a discount. Some say it may be very soon...

4. Danimalcracker macrumors newbie

More food for thought:

* The batteries last only 300-400 charge cycles. That's equal to 3 years apparently.
    * According to MacRumors careful tracking of cycles, the next iPod Touch is slated to come out /probably/ in September.
    * This being said, 4th Gen Touches are going to go on sale once 5 Gen comes out. Should I buy and save money or splurge? I could get pretty good headphones with those savings

5. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

I'd buy the 4th gen now and save for the 5th gen.

6. blackshadow1998 thread starter macrumors newbie

lol

lol for the guy who talked about the student plan:

im not exactly in college, i'm 12
    i already have a mbp

but thanks for ur help, i'm just gonna go for it and give my friend the 2gen (currently he has the 1st gen ipod nano! ha!)

thx guys

7. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Interesting that you are not yet 13 years old Macrumors forum Registration Agreement

You are far too young to have a buy buy buy technology mentality. Though, many of us were young and we too had a "want it" just because it was there. To end it be careful in the future when you should give somethings up and you just "can't" because you think you "need it".

Now, with all that said, enjoy using the new iPod Touch. I am waiting for a better camera.

8. Danimalcracker, May 20, 2011
    Last edited: May 20, 2011

Danimalcracker macrumors newbie

Never /ever/ /ever/ /ever/ say how old you are when you are as young as you say you are. People might be surface friendly, but there are people who are truly not.

Furthermore, never /ever/ /ever/ /ever/ agree to meet with strangers via the internet. That is a fast recipe for harassment, stalking, and real-life dangers.

In addition, do not respond to threatening, strange, odd, weird message or emails. Only doing so encourages the person on the other end to continue their behavior.

Kid, for the sanity of your parent(s), please be honest next time around.

9. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Wow weird much?

Not once did this kid say he's going to meet someone from here online. And where does it say he's getting weird messages?

OP: i think you have to be 13+ to join this board.

That said, I'd wait for the fifth gen. 2G->3G wasn't as small a leap as you may think, and the A5 dual-core chip which (MIGHT) come with the 5th gen will make it more future-proof.

10. Danimalcracker macrumors newbie

(1) The purpose of my post was to put some sense into the kid, not weird anyone out.
    (2) Nowhere do I indicate that the kid said that he's going to meet someone here. I am merely going further than the original context.
    (3) Yada yada yada.

11. DOMCHO101 macrumors newbie

WHOA! Look out! It's the MacRumors police.....

[​IMG]

12. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

wow WTF lol. Not once did the OP say they were receiving anything threatening or meeting anyone. They just asked a question. Plus I don't think people with bad intentions would be searching for people on Macrumors.

And where wasn't the child honest.

13. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

So you think there are pedophiles on a Mac forum looking for 12 year olds asking questions about iPods?

The purpose wasn't to weird people out but it sure did.

14. Danimalcracker, May 21, 2011
    Last edited: May 21, 2011

Danimalcracker macrumors newbie

Calm down. I made a mistake...

No, I don't think there are pedophiles here. c_c;

Sorry for weirding you out.

The kid is now banned, I concede defeat. Can we all please move on with our lives?

15. moderately macrumors 6502

moderately

I love my iPod Touch 4G but

The camera really sucks. If that is a real draw for you you should wait. I don't care about it and so am very pleased with the rest.

16. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

:rolleyes:

Hey those are the rules and he did it to himself by announcing his actual age. I thought I would just point out the forum rules to the kid.