Buying a new logic board?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by videogamingtown, Mar 22, 2012.

1. videogamingtown macrumors newbie

Hey so i just bought a coke spilled macbook 2008 from ebay..opened it up and its soaking in isopropal as we speak but i must admit it isnt looking good..

i am new to macs so i was just wondering which part to buy.. i have the late 2008 model A1278 but when im looking for logic boards online i see mid 2010 models etc. with the same model number as mine.. question is will the mid 2010 work with my 2008 model or what? :confused:

Im slightly confused why they use the same model number on different years

Please help me out!

2. videogamingtown thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks what do you think my chances are of getting this working ?

the spill happened 3 months ago and main damage is under the processer and graphics chip.... it was coke that was spilled on it :?

3. videogamingtown thread starter macrumors newbie

4. iMacC2D, Mar 24, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  5. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

I think chances are low, but not totally lost. The motherboards are still pretty high on this model, you may end up with a little more invested than you thought.

6. videogamingtown thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for replying , first attempt at booting failed , still no signs of life, but i am not giving up yet..! , can a macbook boot without thermal paste on the heatsink?

7. logana macrumors 65816

logana

It won't stop it from booting but I wouldn't let it run for very long though....

Is there any sign of life - does the fan run ? Does it charge ? Does the Magsafe have a bright led ?

Coke is probably about the worst thing you could get on the board - 99% chance of complete failure....

8. videogamingtown thread starter macrumors newbie

no noises whatsoever :(

im still waiting on the magsafe charger to arrive so im hoping its just the battery is dead,it should arrive tomorrow anyway , but mannnn logic boards are so expensive

9. videogamingtown thread starter macrumors newbie

charger came today but no luck :( looks like im spending $700 :'(

10. videogamingtown thread starter macrumors newbie

scratch that! i now hear the macbook making a loud beeping i can hear the harddrive loading but no picture, just beeping as if to indicate something is wrong ....PLEASE TELL ME THIS IS A GOOD SIGN

11. videogamingtown thread starter macrumors newbie

i dont mean to spam but I GOT IT BOOTING :) Everything except the screen is working , i used the mini display to hookup to my monitor and trackpad and keyboard even work! i cant seem to get the wifi working properly though..it detects my network and connects but no webpage displays in safari .. camera is also working.

im pretty sure its just the screen cable thats the problem

is there supposed to be a notch cutout where the pins are pn the display cable?

12. Robert Davies macrumors 6502

Robert Davies

Try a network cable to see if the error is still there. Sounds more Operating System/router (firewall) related than Airport card.

I'm not quite following you... There'e a cutout between the two rows of pins at one end of the connector on mine - if that helps.

Re: the screen - If you haven't already, go to iFixit.com and checkout screen replacement to make sure the relevant connectors have been de 'coked'.

Incidentally I brought a PowerBook G3 back to life back in the day after a 'coca cola incident' by soaking the dismantled boards in water for a while - ended up replacing the keyboard, but everything else worked A-OK afterwards.

-Rob

13. videogamingtown thread starter macrumors newbie

it took about 5 overnight soaks in iso alcohol ,just scrubed the display connectors again there...

i couldn't believe it when it booted the other night :p

best feeling on earth!

14. Robert Davies macrumors 6502

Robert Davies

15. logana macrumors 65816

logana

The screen problem is likely to be a blown capacitor that looks like a fuse on the motherboard.

Google it and you should find it - or there is a thread on the MacBook Pro forum here in with lots of mentions...

16. videogamingtown thread starter macrumors newbie

ok have looked around and it sounds like gibberish to me :/

haha , is it fixable? i know everything else is working now so i wouldn't mind THAT much if i was to just get a new logic board

when i press power the screen does flash for a split second but just dies after that, what do you think?

17. videogamingtown thread starter macrumors newbie

after closer inspection i can see the screen is working when i put a flashlight on it.. its just the backlight so im assumed that that fuse is actually blown.. problem is it is beyond my skills to repair something that small and i have never soldered in my life... it seems like this is the only issue remaining now that i know that it is booting and have tested everything else, guess im on the lookout for a logic board repair guy to solder the new fuse.. Thanks for your help guys really appricate it! and will let you know if i can repair it! :)

18. r0k5t4r macrumors newbie

Hi,

Im just facing the Same Situation. EBay Mac Book 2010 water Spill. I can't tell when the damage happened but I have already started to test a few things on the logic board. So far I can tell the mag safe lights green and I can see there is power using a multimeter on the power on pads. I disconnected everything except ram, the dc in board, the speaker and the fan. I hear no noise and also the fan doesn't spin when trying to shorten using the power on pads. The voltage on the power on pads is 3.42v. Any ideas. I have placed the logic board just beside the macs unibody to test. Maybe it has to be grounded with the unibody? I'm not an expert on macs as this is my first one but I can test motherboards like that just fine. I'm thankful for any hints.

Regards

19. tanzania dave macrumors newbie

me too.

Did you ever get yours to work? I have the same situation. 3.4v on power on pads, magsafe light green. Battery light flashes four lights. I'm thinking if the original poster soaked it for a couple nights in iso alcohol I could soak it again. I've only done it two or three times. But if you did something else, let me know!