Buying a new Mac Help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Shaun.P, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

I first started using Mac's in January 2003. It was an iMac G3 600Mhz (£600), I had it for 2 years then I sold it and upgraded to an eMac G4 1.25Ghz (£550) - which I had for a year. Then I sold it and bought myself the iBook 1.42Ghz (£900). After getting the laptop and having the portability - especially since I have wireless - I couldn't go back to using a desktop computer.

I have sold the iBook today on eBay. I got £455 for it, which I suppose is good considering I've had two years use and it has one year of AppleCare left.
    I was intending to search on eBay and get a G4 12" PowerBook with the money... but I've thought of an even better idea - buying the entry model MacBook. It is £700, but with the Higher Education discount I could get it for £630. Now I don't know what to do... I've started thinking - if I get the PowerBook - how long will I actually have it? It's also out of warranty, and uses the old G4 processor. It's also second hand. All my Mac's have been new. The MacBook will be brand new, have a warranty which I get a year to extend, and be faster and more up-to-date. So basically it comes down to spending £200 and getting the MacBook, or spending nothing and getting a PowerBook G4.

How is the MacBook build quality compared to the PowerBook?

What would you do?

2. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Just to let you know - I bought the MacBook and love it very much!

3. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

I wouldn't get a PPC at this point, especially an old one like a G4. Try looking for an older Intel model or refurb. Personally, I would probably spend the money.

4. doctor pangloss macrumors regular

I bought a MacBook to replace an aging 12" 1.33 PowerBook.

I kept the PB also and find myself using both machines a lot. I travel quite a bit and like the smaller size of the PB better.

I prefer the old PB because it has a better quality "feel" about it.
    If you don't have the MacBook side by side a PB the MB is fine.

There is nothing wrong with the MB though. It's a bit faster and I like having the option to boot windows when I want. (like having 2 computers in one)

I thought about buying a Lenovo Thinkpad also but the Macbook represented the best value and since I'm already a fan of the OSX made the decision easier.
    Maybe in a couple of years I'll get me one of the MacBook Air models with a solid state drive.:cool:

5. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

With the HE discount, the MacBook is actually £601 and the AppleCare is something like £38.

Personally, I would go for the MacBook. I loved my Powerbook (until my ex girlfriend smashed it), and have been looking for another one on ebay, but the truth it, £450 for a powerbook or £640 for a MacBook with AppleCare? There's no competition. The MacBook is heaps faster, the screen will be loads brighter, and you can run Windoze if you feel the urge.