buying a new mac.. how do I switch my stuff?

UnixMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2002
326
0
Phoenix, AZ
I've never done this before, even though I've had a few new macs in the past 8 years.. I've always started with a new slate, but this time I've got A LOT of stuff on my current dual G5 that I'd rather just be able to transfer over to my new Mac Pro..

Can I just boot the G5 into "Target" mode and suck all of the apps over to the Pro? Including Photoshop, Little Snitch, and email accounts, etc? Is there a limit of what you can import and what you can't?

thanks
 

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
5,479
1
Fuquay Varina, NC
Please search next time.

You can copy stuff (files, applications, preferences, etc..) from another machine as part of an OS X install, or use the Migration Assistant if you are not going to be reinstalling OS X.
 

UnixMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2002
326
0
Phoenix, AZ
kingjr3 said:
Please search next time.

You can copy stuff (files, applications, preferences, etc..) from another machine as part of an OS X install, or use the Migration Assistant if you are not going to be reinstalling OS X.
thanks for the answer, but maybe you can help me out since tried with no luck prior to posting my question. I mean, maybe I'm not very good at doing this, but how do you type in a search string for what I was looking for if you're not at all familiar with what the process is even called?

"Copy Software" or "copy from old computer to new"... :confused:
 

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
810
0
UnixMac said:
thanks for the answer, but maybe you can help me out since tried with no luck prior to posting my question. I mean, maybe I'm not very good at doing this, but how do you type in a search string for what I was looking for if you're not at all familiar with what the process is even called?

"Copy Software" or "copy from old computer to new"... :confused:
Ignore him. There's a lot of people who will throw a RTFM or "Search next time" and expect that to sound friendly. Nevermind the fact that for them searching is easy since as you said, they know the terms used for such an action. They seem to forget that not everyone is a "genius" like themselves. So ignore that comment above and go with the flow. Life is too short to worry about a bunch of people online who think they know it all. Best of luck on getting that data transfered. If you have trouble, just post a question. Someone will help, there are a few of those people around still.
 

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
5,479
1
Fuquay Varina, NC
DXoverDY said:
Ignore him. There's a lot of people who will throw a RTFM or "Search next time" and expect that to sound friendly. Nevermind the fact that for them searching is easy since as you said, they know the terms used for such an action. They seem to forget that not everyone is a "genius" like themselves. So ignore that comment above and go with the flow. Life is too short to worry about a bunch of people online who think they know it all. Best of luck on getting that data transfered. If you have trouble, just post a question. Someone will help, there are a few of those people around still.
While I appreciate your compliments, I don't claim or act like I know it all. I simply made a suggestion that will help reduce duplicate posts while still answering the question at hand. Your comments, however, provided no value to the thread whatsoever. :rolleyes:

-genius
 

UnixMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2002
326
0
Phoenix, AZ
DXoverDY said:
Ignore him. There's a lot of people who will throw a RTFM or "Search next time" and expect that to sound friendly. Nevermind the fact that for them searching is easy since as you said, they know the terms used for such an action. They seem to forget that not everyone is a "genius" like themselves. So ignore that comment above and go with the flow. Life is too short to worry about a bunch of people online who think they know it all. Best of luck on getting that data transfered. If you have trouble, just post a question. Someone will help, there are a few of those people around still.
thanks.. I am an active member and moderator of a well known music forum, and see it al loot too... certain things make sense to search on (such as this case), and if one knows the name of what he's looking for, then it's easy... while sometimes it merits to get a new conversation with new members (some of whom may not have been members when other threads were discussed), to chime in, or in some cases the experience of certain members has changed... So search isn't the be all and end all of on-line forum use.

But again, if I knew in advance the name of this procedure, I certainly would not needed to have asked this question.

peace..
 

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
1,952
0
District of Columbia
UnixMac said:
I've never done this before, even though I've had a few new macs in the past 8 years.. I've always started with a new slate, but this time I've got A LOT of stuff on my current dual G5 that I'd rather just be able to transfer over to my new Mac Pro..

Can I just boot the G5 into "Target" mode and suck all of the apps over to the Pro? Including Photoshop, Little Snitch, and email accounts, etc? Is there a limit of what you can import and what you can't?

thanks
Glancing at the thread, I can't tell if your question was answered or not.

Yes, boot the G5 in Target Disk Mode, then boot the Mac Pro (connected by firewire, obviously). Part of the setup for new macs is to run some kind of wizard that scans a firewire drive and copies over documents and settings. You can choose what kind of stuff to import, like photo library, music library, etc. if I recall correctly.
 

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
810
0
kingjr3 said:
While I appreciate your compliments, I don't claim or act like I know it all. I simply made a suggestion that will help reduce duplicate posts while still answering the question at hand. Your comments, however, provided no value to the thread whatsoever. :rolleyes:

-genius
I don't recall any compliments in my reply. But take it how you will.

My comments were merely to give someone a better welcome than you did. Duplicate posts? who cares. It takes up what? not even 1kb of space in the database... big deal. The only advantage it has is for the forum regulars to not get pissy seeing the same thing over and over... it is a help forum is it not? So kind of defeats the purpose.