Buying a new mac mini

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by movieboy23, Aug 29, 2007.

1. movieboy23 macrumors regular

So my dad finally agreed to get a new computer to replace his antiquated Dell dimension. Being a mac enthusiast myself, I figured that he should get a Mac Mini because he really needs the machine to access the internet and do some back word processing and excel stuff. Additionally, if he wants to dable in the creative arts, he should be able to do so.

My question for you all is what accessories should I get him to go along with the computer. I'm looking for a cheap but reliable 15 or 17 inch monitor, a wired keyboard (i may decide to go apple on this one) and a two button mouse. If you have any suggestions, please reply to this thread. Thanks.

:apple:movieboy23

2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

If you don't already have a keyboard and monitor the bottom model iMac is a better deal. This is especially true if you are willing to buy refurbished. Many people love the mini for its size, but you pay for that in a number of ways.

3. movieboy23 thread starter macrumors regular

The thing is, I don't want to buy refurbished and the new iMac screen is too big for the desk space. Have any suggestions for a cheap yet reliable 15 or 17" screen? Any suggestions off of newegg or from any retail stores?

4. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Have you looked into Dell's 15" monitors? And as for a two button mouse, a Logitech mouse might be worth considering, you can pick up a new LX3 for around $20.

5. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

If you keep an eye on the Apple Outlet, you may come across a nice deal on a prior generation (white) 17" iMac.

6. SonicChronicler macrumors member

SonicChronicler

Couldn't he use the monitor he curently uses for the Dell?

7. movieboy23 thread starter macrumors regular

he would, but he currently uses an old crt that is just taking up valuable desk space.

8. SteveG4Cube macrumors 6502

9. joeybagadonutz macrumors member

I am in the exact same situation with my mother-in-law. I encouraged her not to purchase the 17” iMac during a tax free weekend (two days before the new iMac release). Now she objects to the new iMac $1199 price. Refurbished 17” iMacs are often $699-$849 and includes iLife ‘08. However, she was put off at the concept of a “used” machine.

I may buy the refurbished unit anyway and risk eating the restock/return fee. My theory is a $699 iMac plus $169 AppleCare is the same price as the $599 mini + $169 monitor + $100 mouse/keyboard. Plus, if you ever have a quality or support issue, the “all-in-one” is covered by one. In my case, that "one" would be an apple employee and not "son-in-law Joe"...$priceless. Either way, do not forget to consider the $100 printer rebate.