Buying a new mac when leopard comes out!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bluedoggiant, Jul 13, 2007.

1. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

so im familiar with macs user interface and currently have a microsoft windows media center edition service pack 2 with 228GB hard drive, 1GB of ram, and 3.19 GHz, its a desktop, and im wondering which mac i shud buy, my choices are the black macbook with no configuration options, or an imac 24 inch, i will have boot camp on it running vista home basic, i dont know if i shud replace my desktop, or get an additional laptop, and here is the thing, my father is running out of space on his MBP fast, so he might be getting a new one, and i'll get his mbp, then get the imac, but if that doesnt happen, which is the better buy, im 14, i currently have a couple games for my PC, which i will run on boot camp, if i get an imac, but i have flite simulator x, and that doesnt work properly on my PC, itd slow, so if i get an imac, it'll have 2GB of ram, but how fast shud the processor be so that game runs quickly and acurratly? 2.16 ghz, or 2.33 ghz? i edit simple movies, play games sumtimes, surf the net ALOT, i take pictures some times, and i listen to music ALOT!!! so which shud i buy, i know this is alot to read!!!

2. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

I might go with a MBP and then buy a dell display for home, heres a link to a dell display... this'll probably what I do as i'm turning 15 in a week, then if you get your dad's sell it to me ;)

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I'd get the iMac, it'd give you more power and performance with the video card. Although I'd wait a couple weeks until the next revision comes out. Also, you should note that games are much more dependent on Video cards than on the processors. Either processor should be plenty, but make sure to upgrade the video card.

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

My vote always goes for the notebook. You never realize how good notebooks are until you have one. They are so easy to take everywhere:cool:

5. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

For many people, yes. Other people never realize how much they miss a large screen, and how little they actually travel with their computer, until they buy a laptop. It is a personal decision, but I can't think of many places a 14 year old would go with a laptop.

6. mrkamputee, Jul 14, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  7. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Well, the OP did say he was thinking of getting a macbook. How are laptops overrated? Even if it's just within his own home, he'll have the ability to move around the house and use it whereever he pleases. Try sitting on the couch and watching TV with an iMac;)

8. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

to sum it up

i want a laptop badly but i also want to replace my desktop, which worx fine but doesnt have internet, but cant get both

9. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Maybe get a macbook and a Mini (after it's updated).

10. ankh macrumors member

If (I figure "fat chance") Apple gets the next one right, they'll have a CPU the size of the Mini or smaller ----fully capable and upgradable --- and it'll have little jacks to put a keyboard and monitor flush attached on it so it becomes a full fledged "portable" computer (laps are so 20th-century, nobody uses them anymore), something that fits on an airline table, a desk, or in a briefcase/bag.

And when you get it where you're going, just pull out the retractable cables and plug it into AC, and put the screen and the keyboard in a properly ergonomic distance --- the screen up just below eye level, the keyboard where your shoulders aren't rounded, and the CPU in betweeh wherever it fits.

Retractable cables for keyboard and CPU and a decent portable box would solve all the problems Apple still has, I think. Like trying to segment the market when the hardware's outgrown the need to keep these things separate.

And if you're going somewhere you have a keyboard and screen, leave the little portable-type parts behind, just take the CPU, and enjoy the flight instead of trying to compute.

11. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

It's a comfort choice, basically.

Do you want a desktop or do you want something portable?

The current line of iMacs are pretty fast, even though it is getting out dated. You can either wait for the iMacs to be updated with a brand new design (I presume) or buy a MacBook, even a MacBook Pro.

If you want the 24 inch iMac NOW, get the 2.16 ghz processor. Spend the extra cash on external hard drives, ram, and other stuff. As far as gaming goes, gaming relies on the VIDEO CARD, not as much the PROCESSOR. There is an option for the 7600 Card with the 24 inch iMac, it's a good video card.

I had to decide between a portable and a desktop, but I bought a Mac Pro in the end, completely decked out because laptops are uncomfortable for editing. (I had a MacBook Pro).

I just purchased a Titanium G4 PowerBook for REALLY cheap, it's my travel computer, it has a pretty slow processor but it does its job, which will be internet, word, iTunes, and maybe capture some footage to it.

12. aquajet macrumors 68020

You won't notice much difference between the 2.16 and 2.33. Personally, I'd buy the 2.16 and save a bit of money.

Whatever you decide to get, I'm sure you will like it a lot. ;)

13. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

ok, update

so, if i get the macbook, its gonna be the black one with no configurations, if its the imac 24 inch, then i'll get it with 2GB of RAM and upgrade the graphix card, the info on my computer is on the first post, but again, my desktop works great, it has 1GB of ram, it can be unreliable at times, like it can be slow, but it works, when u first startup, u can starts using apps like after 30 secs which is good, doesnt have internet access, its blocked, my dad blocked it, he doesnt want to unblock it :(, i want to replace it, as i can get a fresh new start on this computer (its been thru alot, ive downloaded alot of trash, ive recently cleaned it ALL up), but, what i really want is a laptop, the desktop is in my room, i can only get one of the computers, i want the laptop so i can take it around the house, take it on my bed, take it on trips sometimes as i like to make videos and edit them, and in the car, might use it as a DVD player in it, i have an adapter to charge it, so which is the better buy? i always surf the net, and always on it, im like on it 24/7:)

14. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

i made up my decision :)

im getting the 24 inch imac when leopard comes out, it'll have 2GB of memory, a 250GB harddrive, and an upgraded video card of 7600, thanx to all of those that helped :)):D

15. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

haha, what do you, this is my thread, its great to look back at old things, but when i posted this, i was a newbie, now im a 6502, and it is true, i got a 24 inch imac, 2 gig ram, but a 500gb HD, and a 2.8Ghz processor, far faster than a 2.16:rolleyes:, but while on this, i may get a macbook:D:D:D, but thats after what i will lay eyes on at macworld, may get a the rumored sub-notebook, either way, somethings comin out at macworld that portable:apple: