Buying a new Macbook and need some advice.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jesscicasaywhat, Jun 24, 2015.

1. jesscicasaywhat macrumors newbie

I am new to Mac and don't know how to keep it speedy as the time when it was new! My previous PC was becoming slower and slower so that I decided to get a new one.
    Any good advice? Thanks a lot in advance!;)

2. Mixpower macrumors member

Mixpower

You don't have that problem with OSX ;)

3. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Just use your Mac as intended, OS X is a very different animal compared to Windows and in general will not slowdown appreciably if at all. The operating system will take care of it`s self in the background.

You may find this useful sooner or later
    Best way to FULLY DELETE a program

Q-6

4. jimboutilier macrumors 6502a

One of the great things about OSX is that it's there to serve you and keep you productive, not to make you its servant requiring a lot of time, expense, and effort by you to maintain it. Many Windows users have a hard time with that ;-)

That said, its not always completely self maintaining, and can have occasional issues that need to be addressed. But many users can go months or years without experiencing a problem or issue that is noticed or needs to be addressed. Then they do a little googling or reading or posting or talk to Apple Care, fix the issue and go back to enjoying their Mac.

If your use is critical (you make your living with your computer), and/or you have a tightly configured (low CPU power and SSD space for your needs), there are some things you can do or utilities you can buy to conserve resources and keep things running as quickly and efficiently as possible, but there is a reasonable debate as to how much this helps and if its worth the time and cost for most people.

5. Costino1 macrumors 6502

Costino1

All good points above.

I have a 2011 or 2012 Mac Mini running current version of OS X and the thing still runs like a champ.

I also have the new MacBook and zero issues. It's handling everything I've thrown at it. Granted, I'm not a power user by any means but playing around with Garage Band or Excel spreadsheets and zero slowdown.

Battery life is the kicker for me. Lasts forever it seems and charging is very speedy.

I don't anticipate this going obsolete on me or bogging down in the near future.

I think you'll love it and won't be disappointed.

Hardest decision you'll have to make (like most) is to go with this model or the rMBP 13"....

6. Maccareshare macrumors newbie

There are much things you need to clean. For example, if you want to uninstall some app from your MacBook, it is not enough to just drag to Trash. Piled files related to the app are still on your device. You can try a third-party Mac OS X cleaner like MacCare, which can keep track of all your app and help you to uninstall completely and securely! Plus, it is able to fully scan you Mac, and tell you which file you need to and can to remove for better performance. I like it very much!

7. Tilen Turk, Jun 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2015

Tilen Turk macrumors newbie

I'm buying new computer for university because i need to write dissertation and i am intrested in buying rMb base model because it's light and portable.

I will use it as a main computer and mostly use it for microsoft office (excel, word, ppt), safari browsing and sometimes for editing photos and videos and for music. Will it fit my needs?

Will it handle huge amounts of data in excel (for numeric methods) and maybe some drawing in AutoCad and other usage of scientific programs like Matlab?

Is it future proof so i could use it for many years?

8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Some of those uses you mentioned can be pretty CPU/GPU intensive I think the rMBP would be a much better fit for you.

9. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I agree. I think that the rMB might be able to handle it depending on exactly how complex some of those options are, but for a primary computer for heavy-duty school work, I'd have to say the 13" rMBP would likely be the better choice.

10. Tilen Turk macrumors newbie