Buying a new Macbook for college... Wait or buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by alchemistmuffin, Aug 24, 2008.

  1. alchemistmuffin macrumors 6502

    Dec 28, 2007
    I am headed off to college soon, so I need a Macbook pro to go with it. But with all the rumours about a huge MacBook update, and classes beginning on sept 18 for me, should I actually hold off buying one?

    Also, has MobileMe gotten smoother? I'm thinking about buying one year subcription along with my new mac.
  2. Full of Win macrumors 68030

    Full of Win

    Nov 22, 2007
    Ask Apple
    - Better hardware :)
    - Will be current gen for much of your college time :)
    - Run the risk of a poor initial version :mad:
    - Have to wait :mad:

    By now
    - Get it now :)
    - Get a mature platform :)
    - Out of style very soon :mad:

    I say wait.
  3. smwatson macrumors 6502a


    Sep 30, 2005
    London, England
    One good reason why you NEED a Macbook Pro.
  4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3


    Aug 19, 2008
    The Anthropocene

    Even if you spend the first few days without a computer, there should be computer labs around.
  5. amac4me macrumors 65816


    Apr 26, 2005
    If you're a student, the Back-To-School promotion is hard to pass up.
  6. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

    Jun 13, 2007
    added something you left out
  7. brop52 macrumors 68000


    Feb 26, 2007
    September 18th? You lucky sob. You might as well wait for updates. I started August 4th. (That's even a week later than we usually start). Though I'm in med school and the undergrads at my school start after Labor Day. I've been waiting for the new MB.
  8. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604


    Jul 4, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Seriously the rest of the posts here are trashing this whole thread. Don't be so mean to the OP, he's just asking a question, I'm sure all of you mistyped words before.

    I'd say buy it now, if you like the macbook for what it is right now. The Back-to-School promo is hard to pass up, as someone mentioned. A free printer, free ipod touch is a good deal along with a educational discounted macbook. a laptop is for work in college, not for style or a social icon.
  9. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus


    Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Well, this went well...

    The Rules
  10. QCassidy352 macrumors G4


    Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    indeed. I don't think a faster clockspeed or video card or whatever is going to have more effect on your college experience than having an ipod touch.
  11. Scepticalscribe Contributor


    Jul 29, 2008
    The Far Horizon
    We are back to the old "want" versus "need" question, here. The MBP is a superb machine, and will - more than likely - give you several years of sturdy and hopefully reliable computing; I'm the very happy owner of a MBP, and it is by far the best computer I have ever had. It offers great performance, is powerful, aesthetically attractive, and has a superb screen.

    The question is do you "need" it, or simply "want" it; if you need it, buy it now and avail of the educational discounts; if you simply want it, or are the type of person who must have the latest in technological advances, wait for the newer models to be unveiled; if you are not that bothered, but money is an issue, then I suggest that you wait for the updated new models, and buy one of the discontinued models, - assuming they are available - as the discounts are often quite generous. In the meantime, good luck and enjoy college. Cheers.
  12. yrael macrumors newbie

    Aug 20, 2008
    West Coast
    I'm also a student looking to buy a macbook pro as well, xD yay for september start times, I suppose.

    Is the MBP really a mature system? From what I've gathered from reading the forums and just looking around, it seems like even recent purchases from June forward can have faults as well. I'm looking forward to buying a computer that can last 4-5 years, but it seems that MBPs would only last around 3.

    I guess what I'm asking is whether waiting for what could be a stabler system in the update is worth passing up the current gen? Or should I just ignore all these problems and get a macbook (with the lesser video card and screen quality)?

Share This Page