Buying a new Macbook inner shell/cover

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by loveyourwork, May 25, 2008.

1. loveyourwork macrumors newbie

Does anyone know where I could buy a new Macbook inner shell / cover as mine has discoloured immensely and cracked. It's one of the first Macbooks off the production line and is completely out of warranty.

Is this sort of item controlled by Apple repairers/resellers or can any member of the public buy one?

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Which part do you mean - the keyboard/topcase ? If so lots of threads on here already - Apple will replace free if yellow/cracked.

If you mean the lcd cover then yes you can buy them off eBay and other places - a pain to swop over though.

If you mean the bottom case - you can get them from the same places as the lcd cover - only will take even longer to replace.

3. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

4. loveyourwork thread starter macrumors newbie

It's the keyboard topcase. I have read the forums about people getting theirs replaced but mine is pretty far out of warranty as it's one of the first to hit Aust shores. Also it had the case/keyboard replaced in the first couple weeks of ownership due to some faulty keys. So I don't imagine a reseller would fix it now.

5. loveyourwork thread starter macrumors newbie

6. logana macrumors 65816

logana

If it is discoloured and cracked then Apple will replace (even miles out of warranty) - no need to buy one.
    Loads of threads on here about people getting them replaced - any age, no problem.

7. StuBeck macrumors 6502

No, some people did have problems. It sounds like you should be able to get it replaced, but its at the discretion of the so called "genius" whether they replace it or not.