Buying a new macbook pro, advice?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sonhascome, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Sonhascome macrumors 6502

I am looking at buying a new 15" macbook pro because my old one died. I am a student, but about to graduate, and would primarily be using this for word processing, power points, surfing the web, playing music, watching movies, and very occasional video editing, I don't really play video games, usually do that on the consoles. I am up between these 3: a refurbished 2.0ghz quad core i7 that's $1359, or 2.2ghz quad core i7, or the 2.4ghz quad core i7. I realize that the 2.4ghz has a 1gb graphics card, but I don't think I should be that concerned with the graphics card since i don't play many video games. One of my big questions about possibly buying the refurbished is can I buy the 3 years of applecare on a refurbished computer? Any input would be appreciated, thanks guys!

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

I have the 2.0 quad and love it do mainly the same things as you I did upgrade ram to 8 gb because multitasking while video was converting was slowing down the Mac I also bought refurb and yes you still get 1 year from apple and yes you can get AppleCare on refurbs

3. Sonhascome thread starter macrumors 6502

I should note that I can get a student discount which would make the 2.2ghz 1699 and the 2.4ghz 1,999

4. rainking macrumors 6502

rainking

2.0ghz quad core i7 that's $1359

Will do everything you stated with ease. No reason to spend more. Use the extra $ on memory and ssd.

5. MVRL macrumors regular

MVRL

any base 15" and the early 11' ones will do what you wanna do with ease.

6. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

the 15" with the 2.0 is more than powerful enough for what you need to do.

7. Sonhascome thread starter macrumors 6502

I ended up getting the 2.2ghz macbook pro. I am always just a tad bit hesitant to get refurbished, and since this one had a quicker processer I went ahead and got it. I was very very tempted to get the 2.4ghz though. I'm sure i didn't need it, but I kinda think when you are spending that much what is an extra few hundred to have the best