Buying a new macbook pro and could use some help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jaysz, May 20, 2015.

1. jaysz macrumors newbie

Ok so I am coming from a 2013 or so macbook pro classic (non retina) that I added 16gb ram and an ssd to from when I first had the unit. That one is going to the wife and I am going to be buying a new one, could use some help with which unit to choose.

Use the computer for Finale and a lot of music related software including but not yet Pro Tools, surf a lot and will have mulitple tabs open at one time, also play some games but mostly use pc for that. Use Microsoft Office and some transcription related programs for music. So here are the options I am considering I am graduating tomorrow night so I get the college discount.

2015 13" rmbp with 8gb, 256gb $1399
    2015 15" rmp with 16gb 256gb $1899
    2014 15" rmb " " $1609 (refurb)

Would love to hear your recommendations and as soon as possible as I might go pick one up in Delaware tonight as it's tax free, thanks a bunch. Jay.

2. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

You won't get the 2014 refurb in the store tomorrow night, it'll have to ship either to you or to the store. The stores don't stock those. So, that narrows it down to 2 if you want to actually have it in-hand tomorrow.

The 15" will have a quad-core CPU which will benefit GREATLY speed-wise if you use multi-threaded apps that can utilize all 8 "cores" (4 with Hyperthreading is seen as 8 to the OS). That's quite a jump though, between the base 13" and the 15" with 16 GB of RAM. I feel that the 500 MHz difference (base clock but the Turbo Boost clock is higher on the 15" with the i7) is more than made up for with the addition of the extra cores.

3. jaysz thread starter macrumors newbie

I realize I won't get it tonight but I could order it and so be done with the purchase, also I do use Lightroom a bit. One last thing do you think I should wait until they give the gift cards out at the end of June, will I get the education pricing and the $100 gift card if they do the same this year, and thanks.