Buying a new Macbook Pro got a few options, need some input.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Cyrax89, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Cyrax89 macrumors newbie

So im in the market for a Macbook Pro. Bellow is a list of what I will be doing with the machine.

Gaming (warcraft 3, Left 4 Dead, Company of Heroes, Total War games, and eventually Starcraft 2.)

Mass music storage and video storage. 15,000 songs, plus some digital movies

some future music editing work, (Logic studio, etc)

I was thinking about just getting the basic 13" with a 500 gig hard drive, but I do not know if the geforce 9400 is powerful enough for my games.

I saw the previous gen Macbook Pro 15" display and a geforce 9600 with 512mb dedicated and a 2.53 ghz intell core 2 duo processor for 1500.00 at mac mall. Maybe I should just get this one? Or should I get a different version of the newer MBP's? Please advise

2. supermac1 macrumors regular

I got the one you are talking about at mac mall, but from club mac. I recommend it, but I believe they are sold out.

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

If you're serious about gaming, consider either a MBP with a discrete graphics card, or a non-Apple computer (albeit also one with a discrete GPU).

4. Cyrax89 thread starter macrumors newbie

Im not doing super amounts of gaming on it, just when im on the go id like it to be able to run a few games. I have a desktop PC for hardcore gaming.

5. GodWhomIsMike macrumors 6502a

The Late-2008 MBP (2.53GHz) model is now sold out everywhere. I just was looking, with no luck. :(

6. Cyrax89 thread starter macrumors newbie

I cannot believe it sold out in a day that something else. Though it was an incredible deal. If you think about it, only like a month ago it was 1000.00 more.
    So what should i get now?

7. GodWhomIsMike macrumors 6502a

I am sitting back and waiting. I am not paying $1500+ for a laptop with budget PC level intergrated graphics (i.e 9400M). I will keep checking the refurb site until August/September. If I find it again, I will buy. Otherwise, I switch back to PC. My 2 year old Mac is basically useless for anything other than surfing the web, writing documents/e-mails, or listening to music. Anything media related makes this machine choke.

This Macbook is equal to an AMD dual core machine my uncle purchased for $449 over the weekend, that I clean installed Windows 7 on.