Buying a New Macbook.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lspace2k, Sep 28, 2011.

  1. lspace2k macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2011
    #1
    Hi Forum

    Probaly something many people have asked before, but well here it goes.

    I'm standing in a situation where my old white Macbook from 2008, is reaching it's limits, too much use has started to show, been a great machine but now it is time for something stronger. I'm seriously considering the 15" MBP and well since it is, based on the Buyer's Guide, is reaching the end of it's cycle, im hesitating a bit on buying one, because i dont want to spend a big amount of cash on something that gets a hugh upgrade in just a month. So here is my question(s)
    Will Apple announce a new model of the MBP soon? will it be hardware upgrades or a complete change, thinking design and hardware? Should i be patient or go for it?

    I Know these are all questions which only Apple can answer for sure, but well gimme your thought's would be a huge help. :apple:
     
  2. awer25 macrumors 65816

    awer25

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2011
    #2
    No one knows - why even ask unless you're just looking for conjecture? (and conjecture is not a huge help)
     
  3. snaky69 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2008
    #3
    Not likely before early 2012, when Ivy Bridge processors will come out, that is the best conjecture you're likely to get.
     
  4. lspace2k thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2011
    #4
    Well i am asking because its been a few years since i last bought a Mac, and well not until recently i started checking Macrumors, so i am in doubt how good the Buyers Guide is.

    But i must say conjecture to me right now can be a huge help. Since spending that amount of cash on a computer is a big deal to me, and if i spend it tomorrow and two weeks from now a new model is put on the street.

    So basically your conjectures would be a huge help:)
    thx:)
     
  5. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #5
    The buyers guide is probably the best barometer to the life cycle of the Macs. Its stating as you saw that the current generation is at the end of its life.

    Now we could wait months or weeks, its impossible to say and even someone's conjecture will be a wild guess.

    The bottom line is if you need one now, get one now, if you can wait then wait
     
  6. yly3 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2011
    #6
    The 15 is already a very powerful machine, the 2011 refresh was a big one and Apple, besides to a light spec-bump in processor, has nothing to upgrade up until Ivy Bridge comes out in early-mid 2012.
    Since you are coming from a 2008 MacBook you will really feel the power of the current 15".
    Usually rumors start to pop out if a refresh would really come soon and up until now, only one has surfaced (about the very light processor bump).

    In your case, I'd really get the current 15". If you still want to wait a bit longer, I'd wait until around 15-20 October. If nothing shows up (even a rumor) then go for it.

    The 2012 refresh will very likely have a redesign, if you are interested in it. But there are high chances of Apple dropping the SuperDrive/DVD (they already did to the Mac Mini). Personally, I still need it so I bought the 2011 base 13 2 months ago.
     
  7. Apok macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2011
    Location:
    Columbus, Ohio
    #7
    Just to echo what the others said, if you need it now, then by all means go buy it. If you can wait a few months, then wait. But most likely it will prob be sixish months before they do another big update. Me personally, I have a 2010 13, and Im not too worried about the update. Now maybe if the 2012 is super badass, then I may consider it.
     
  8. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #8
    That's where I'm at. For most users, the C2D is a great machine. That said, the current i5/i7s are wicked fast and so they'll be a great replacement for older macs. I'm waiting for for a 2012 machine to see if its worth upgrading at that point.
     
  9. beosound3200 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2010
    #9
    i wrote this in a similar thread but ill copy it here too

    buyers guide prediction is based on average number of days between refreshes, but as you can see from the 'recent releases bars' last 2 updates have 300+ days in between. but i dont think that would be the case this time, my prediction is that we'll see a minor cpu bto bump in the following months and that i can say with almost 100 percent certainty based on the past. and then we have a problem because intel will be releasing ivy bridge in march/april which would be 14 months between releases, so apple has two options: first one is that they could release a redesign (not update) in december/january (that would fit their current 10-months update schedule) with old cpu tech sandy bridge, or second one that they wait till march/april for the ivy bridge which would make more sense given the heat optimizations that ivy bridge brings and introduce the redesign then, maybe even with a keynote
     
  10. Nachi macrumors newbie

    Nachi

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2011
    Location:
    Florida
    #10
    I was in the same situation too, I really didn't know if I should buy the computer now or wait for the upgrade. But I didn't want to miss out on the student discount iTunes card. So I decided to purchase the computer on the 16th before the promotion ended. (Also this will be my first Macbook Pro.) I just received the computer yesterday and been fooling around with it and let me tell you one thing, don't wait. This is one incrediable machine and you will be missing out if you waited, I don't regret making my purchase early at all.:D

    Ps. I purchased the 17inch Macbook Pro, I love this computer!!!!;)
     

Share This Page