Buying a new Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johnnyvh, Oct 24, 2012.

1. johnnyvh macrumors newbie

Hello their guys!

I am interested in buying a new 13' inch laptop and want to buy my first Macbook, because my old laptop died. I was opting for the Macbook Air 13 inch with 256 gb storage and 8 GB of ram for €1677,- or the new Macbook Pro Retina 13 inch with 256 gb of storage for €2079,-. I already saw that alot of people find the extra money for the new retina macbook quite high, but I'm still don't know which one to chose. I need to take it to university (Business & Economics) 5 times in a week and sometimes to my work. i don't do heavy editing or something and do not play heavy games or something, just games like Counter-strike: Source. I found it difficult to choose, because the Air is lighter and easier to carry around, but the Pro has a nice Retina display, and isn't much bigger and heavier than the Air (but has a high price).

Thanks in advance,
    John

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Based on your description of needs....go for a maxed out MBA. To me the 13" rMBP offers too little few resources (dual core, memory, no GPU) compared to a 15" rMBP for a cost that is too near the 15" cost. Enjoy the MBA for the 3 years of Apple Care (you can get Apple Care cheap at B&H).

3. Maczor macrumors regular

Based on the described needs, a MBA would surely be more than enough... but it really comes down to what YOU want. Since you have the money for both, it comes down to personal preferences ( we're way past the "can it handle what I need to do" stage... that's clearly not a problem ).

4. manunited macrumors member

Based on what you've described, I'd recommend the 13" Air. My usage is similar to yours (heck, I'm currently in a business (finance)/economics joint honours program at university :p) and the 13" Air is perfect for me.

And if you are looking at the specced out 13" rMBP, the 15" rMBP baseline is much, much better value and pretty much the same price with edu discount.

13" Air or 15" rMBP would be my recommendations, with the former for portability and latter for bleeding edge technology and performance.

5. johnnyvh thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice guys! Think I'll go for the maxed out Air. I was just disappointed when the new 13 inch Retina came out, because I have been waiting for it since the rmb air and pro came out like 2 months ago. But it just doesn't totally fulfill my expectations (better GPU for example).

6. johnnyvh thread starter macrumors newbie

Just one question, a maxed out Air cost around €1800,- and the rMBP €2079,-. Isn't this a really close call then?

7. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Depends on how important 270 Quid is to you. In the States that would more than cover 3 years of Apple Care on the MBA.

8. johnnyvh thread starter macrumors newbie

It has been a long time ago, and I must say that I've been waiting for the 13 inch Retina Macbook Pro to come out. Now... it's out and I really do need to choose.

Ok so here is my situation:
    - I travel by train 2 hours a day.
    - I'm studying Economics and Business (and have to travel to my university).
    - Planning to buy an external screen for my laptop later, when an upgrade of the TB display will come out.
    - I mainly will use my laptop for browsing the web, facebook, text writing and presentations.

I do have to travel 2 hours a day now for university, but I will hire a room in december, so that won't be the case anymore. I only need to travel once a week back for work by then.

As you can see, portability is necessary, so I'm chosing between the 13 inch Air or 13 inch rMBP. My decision is between a max specced Air (i7 2.0 ghz, 8gb ram and 256 GB storage, 1800€) or an rMBP 13 inch basic model (with 256 GB storage, 2000€)

The €200 difference isn't that huge of a deal for me.
    The problem is now... The Air is lighter, but I find the Pro sexier and it has a nicer screen.. I have seen in reviews that both have similair performances (correct me if I'm wrong). The battery should be 7 hours for both (True?).
    What whould you chose? I tryed to ask myself what I would prefer, more portability, or a nicer screen.. But I really just can't choose.. So that's why I'm asking your guys opion about this;).

9. RickG macrumors regular

get the retina the screen is well worth the extra $$

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If you have the money buy the rMBP. The screen is great, the GPU gets the job done(even though it isn't top of the line).