Buying a new MacMini... help plz

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by nden, Mar 22, 2010.

1. nden macrumors member

I have a Dell 24" 2408 LCD, the monitor has all kind of input. I'm wondering what cable I'd use to connect a MacMini to my LCD. The LCD has Display Port input, the MacMini has Mini Display Port. Are they some kind connected?

Lastly, I'm looking at the 2.53GHz Mini.... and maybe I'll put a Intel x25v SSD in it. How easy would it be to install a SSD in a MacMini, will I void the warranty if I open the MacMini?

Thanks

2. Raima macrumors 6502

The Mac Mini comes with a DVI connector. As long as your Dell monitor can support it you'll be fine.

As for installing the SSD. I do beleive this does void warranty unless you get apple to do it. They'll only do it if you purchase the items from them.

Please correct me on warranty if I'm wrong.

3. Undo Redo macrumors 6502

Drive and memory upgrades will not void your warranty. Anything you might break while you're in there will not be covered. It's relatively easy to replace a drive in a Mac mini. Getting the darn thing open is the hardest part. Takes me about 10 minutes, start to finish. The first time I did it, it probably took 25, being especially cautious.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Mini comes with Mini-DVI to DVI cable.

From http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Mac_mini_Late2009_UG.pdf

So opening Mini doesn't but if you break something, it will

5. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

Installing the HDD is a simple process, and you'd probably want to do it anyway (unless you want to pay Apple a premium for a bigger drive) whether you choose to go SSD or just a larger drive.

I don't believe it voids your warranty, or at least that's what I've been hearing for as long as I can remember.

6. ADent macrumors 6502a

You can go to monoprice and get a miniDP to full size DP cable.

The supplied DVI cable will work just as well though.

7. nden thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for reply. I've been looking into this Mini on YouTube videos and I like the fact this Mini could be my 2nd HTPC.

Yes, Thanks ADent... I actually found the cable on Monoprice for around $5.

I think upgrading a SSD maybe my option later on when SSD at lowest price for next few months/years?

Oh yes, another question for MacMini user here. Is the new MacMini having any problems lately I should be aware of?

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

SSDs are developing all the time so if you wait, you get more for the same buck

Haven't heard any and generally it's Apple's most reliable computer

9. nden thread starter macrumors member

Just grabbed a Mini at Apple store. I connected to my LCD using DVI cable for now, it's kinda bulky cable. I'm ordering some cables at Monoprice.

My first impression is that this thing is right for its name "Mini" although the Power supply is somehow big for me.

Plugged in a cat5 cable to my router, the thing connected to internet right away, and of course it's faster than N wireless connection.

10. Undo Redo macrumors 6502

:) I've never understood why the power adapter for the mini has to be so much larger than the one for the MacBook. :confused:

11. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

You know, I'd never thought of that before, but now that you mention it...

12. Undo Redo macrumors 6502

The mini's power supply is 110 watts and the MacBook's is 60, but still...

I think it's probably a matter of expense; a big power supply is cheaper to make??

I have so many power bricks behind my desk it boggles my mind. There aught to be a better way.

13. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

Well, they have the 85 watt MacBook Pro power bricks in the same form factor, so I'd assume that it's just expense...

It might be cheaper, it might be a counter-selling point (who knows), but who knows.

14. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Then theres something wrong with your wireless connection.

"g" wireless is rated at 54 Mbps. ("n" is even faster)

Most all DSL service is 3-6 Mbps.

Fastest FiOS internet around here is 40 Mbps.

So unless you have something beyond FiOS speeds, then your internet is far, far slower than wireless.

When I had cable internet I could easily get 28 Mbps, either wired to my iMac or wireless to my wifes Macbook. Speeds were identical.

15. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

I think he meant that the speed over a wired connection is faster... which it certainly is.