Buying a new Mattress set - advice?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by danny_w, May 19, 2008.

1. danny_w macrumors 601

I am in the market for a new mattress set, and want something pretty basic and firm. About 9 years ago we splurged on a high-end Stearns&Foster set (very thick, pillow-top, Australian wool) that I have never liked after about the first few months; I would never buy another S&F based on this bad experience. I just came back from a vacation where both the hotel bed and the bed on the cruise ship were far superior (and the cruise ship bed is just a mattres on a flat steel frame!). I took a quick look at lunch and the cheapest Simmons Beautyrest in the store was my favorite; of course, I know a quick look is not going to tell me much. I'm not interested in expensive memory foam or latex beds. Does anybody have any suggestions of what to look for or specific brand/models to consider? Thanks in advance.

2. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

My wife and I bought a king coil from Art Van a few months ago. We bought the cheapest king size they had. It set us back over a grand, but I definately don't regret buying it. It is extremely comfortable, and a lot of the aches and pains I had went away.

3. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks. I assume you mean King Koil. Do you know what model it is? I had trouble finding them on the internet, and can't find any except the Perfect Contour Callisto set that cost that much.

4. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

My wife and I have a Sleep Number bed and love it. Some people do not care for them but I spoke with four other people who have them and they were all completely satisfied with theirs. So, I bought it.

One big consideration is the pillowtop thickness which is also one of the main features that differentiates between the models. The middle model or above seems to have decent tops but the lower models simply ddidn't have enough top for me. My personal preference.

It's nice to have a different firmness for each side if necessary. You never have to rotate or flip it. It's very easy to move. The warranty is 20 years.

I am on my sixth year with my Sleep Number mattress and love it as much as when I purchased it.

5. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

What ever you choose, try it out if possible. By this I mean lay down on it in the store, stay still for 10 min and see how your back does. I had one that literally had me in tears with back pain it was so soft. I need a hard mattress myself. So try one if you can. Remember, you will be spending a big chunk of your life on it, might as well get a good one. ;)

6. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

I think most mattress are overpriced. I have heard that, with most manufactures, The insides, and construction of their top model and their economy level mattress will be almost identical. They will just charge double for a few dollars of extra padding.

A $1,700 and that $700.00 mattress are both going to give you a 8 to 10 year life. before they start getting ratty. Some of these manufacturers will give you a 20 year warranty.
    I think thats nasty who wants to sleep on a mattress that's 20 years old.

I say go with the least expensive mattress that feels comfortable. I like Simmons.
    Go to a big mattress discounter, and look for sales.

7. cheeseadiddle macrumors regular

Tempur-Pedic. We have the Classic mattress and box. Love it.

8. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

9. aristobrat macrumors G5

Love my Tempur-Pedic Deluxe Bed here. :)

First mattress I've ever owned where it's normal to wake up in the exact same position I feel asleep in! :eek:

Before this mattress, whenever I'd occasionally physically overexert myself (lifting too much at work, usually), I'd be sore for the following 2-3 days. With the Tempur-Pedic, I'm almost always fine the following morning. No more 2-3 days to recover! I guess I never knew how important a restful night of sleep could be. :D

Wow, I haven't seen one of those things in YEARS!!!!!!!!!

10. bbbensen macrumors 6502

I have a Tempur-Pedic like mattress, but its a cheaper ripoff. :p

I forget the name, but its supper comfy. Its also fun to tell friends to jump on it belly first, then watch their reaction to the pain. ;)

11. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

www.memoryfoam.com

Foam (whether memory or latex) is the only thing that gives you proper support. The worst for you is water, then air.

I currently have a latex mattress and love it. Plus foam can't house dustmites or other livng things (great for allergies)

12. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Sorry, I don't know off hand which model it was. I do know it was the cheapest king size they had. If you can give me a day or so, I will see if I can find the paperwork and get back to you.

13. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

That's OK, every store probably has their own models anyway. It makes their price guarantees worthless since you cannot directly compare.

I expect the fun stops when they beat you up.

14. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

For some people the pillow top is too soft for them.

If you go too soft it is hard to firm up.

But if the bed isn't a pillow top, and right on the edge of too firm, you can add a number of pads on top to soften it up a bit.

---

You can't buy the hotel beds, except from select sellers ... though you can come close.

There is a site somewhere if you do a hotel bed search, that has some good expert advice on buying beds.

Edit Oops, guess they do offer the beds now. But a night or two isn't a long term test of some of the beds.

15. SDLSteve macrumors 6502

I'd get anything from Costco that has a lifetime money back offer. The problem with most mattress companies is that they' ll offer a refund during the first 30-60-90 days but then you either pay a hefty restocking fee or they only give you credit for another mattress at the store. We tried the costco version of the tempurpedic for $1000 and love it.

16. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

My advice: Memory foam!!! That's the stuff Tempur sells, saying it's what astronauts use. Alternative: Waterbed.

17. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Here is a helpful blog

http://blog.pennlive.com/mattress/hotel_bedding/

Look to the left, and they talk some about matresses for back pain.

---

Last time I looked, a lot of people had complained when they went from a firm mattress to a pillow top.

18. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks for the link. there is a wealth of information there. And yes, they seem to agree that a pillowtop is the wrong thing for me (and so did the salesman at MattressFirm).

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Do foam mattresses offer the 'bounce' required for extra-curricular activities such as bouncing up and down on the bed? How about repetitive back and forth sliding (shear?) motion? Seriously. :confused:

20. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

It's not really the brand, what's more important is the softness of the mattress.

Surfaces that are too soft (cheap memory foam knockoff) or too firm (say floor) are both bad for sleeping.

21. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

No good words here as I sleep on a mattress with a topper that's latex wrapped in wool. Most comfortable thing I've ever slept on. I can't sleep on firm mattresses, the pressure points on my body make it way too uncomfortable. Since switching to the latex my sleep has improved so much.

Everyone always told me firm mattresses would be what I needed after fracturing my spine five years ago, but I learned that frankly, they were wrong! I'm all about the soft and squishy memory foam now.

22. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

memory foam is heat reactive and is a slow gushy feeling... I can't stand it.
    But latex foam is a fast reacting foam. It different but is probably bouncier than a normal mattress.

23. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

After looking at many of the options that people on here gave, we just bought a Simmons Beautyrest Classic Plush (base model of the line) last night and will pick it up today. It had the firmest feel (but cushioned by the plush top) and least motion transfer of any bed in the store, including the top of the line models. and we got a great deal with the holiday deals and a price match. Thanks everyone for your help!