Buying a new MBP 15" and SSD separately

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GuyZ, Jul 16, 2013.

1. GuyZ macrumors newbie

Hi,

Configuring the Macbook Pro to include a 256GB SSD costs $400 extra. The Samsung 840 pro costs almost half of that, so I'm wondering if there are any cons to buying the Macbook with a normal HDD and immediately replacing it with an SSD?

I'm not worried about replacing the HD itself as I'm pretty technical, but just want to make sure I won't be losing anything in terms of performance/compatibility.

Thanks,
    Guy

2. adiddas125 macrumors member

You cant. The new SSDs are soldered onto the "motherboard".

3. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Not true. The retina models have a 'blade' style SSD, it isn't soldered. Also since GuyZ is talking about ordering a computer with a traditional hard drive he's most likely talking about the non-retina 15".

The hard drive is a standard user-replaceable 2.5" model. You can definitely replace it with an SSD yourself.

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Might help if you clarify if whether or not you're talking about the cMBP or the rMBP.

5. thundersteele macrumors 68030

The rMBP does not ship with a "normal HDD", so it is pretty clear that the OP is talking about the cMBP.

@GuyZ

I ordered mine in 2011 with a small 128 SSD, and later upgraded to a Samsung 830 with 256 GB. Performance wise the Samsung is faster (back then the Apple SSDs were SATA II). I don't think I'm loosing out on any features. There is some possible issue with TRIM support, but I don't think modern SSDs need TRIM.

6. paul-n macrumors regular

When using 840 Pro just install Trim Enabler and everything is fine. Just check after updates if it is still activated.

7. GuyZ thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Thanks for your quick responses.

Just to be clear, I'm referring to the cMBP (classic, non-retina). Essentially, my thoughts are to buy the 'basic' $1,799 version, and manually upgrade both the HDD to SSD and the RAM to 16GB.

Hope that clarifies things. So I assume there's nothing wrong (performance/compatibility-wise) to manually upgrade to SSD?

Thanks,
    Guy

8. scbond macrumors 6502

Seeing as the 15" rMBP comes with at least a 256 GB SSD he's clearly referring to the cMBP.

Yes you can swap them just fine before even switching it on for the first time but you'll need a copy of OS X at hand on an external drive like a USB stick. For that you'll need access to another Mac. If you don't have access to another one anywhere then boot it up for the first time, let OS X install and then download OS X again from the App store and then do the swap afterwards.

9. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Not necessarily. He can use Internet recovery to install OS X from scratch on the blank SSD.

10. scbond macrumors 6502

Does anybody actually even use internet recovery though?! Didn't think it would do fresh new installs either.

11. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Completely irrelevant to the discussion.

I used it when the USB drive where I keep my OS X installer went bad. It took a bit of time to download since it's several GB, but it worked perfectly. As long as the system originally came with Lion or Mountain Lion (and it will if the OP hasn't bought it yet), Internet reinstallation is a valid option.

12. ramram55, Jul 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2013

ramram55 macrumors 6502

If it is cmbp, get an external enclosure, use super duper clone to clone your internal drive and swap the drives as simple as that.
    Make sure your start up disk is SSD, by clicking apple menu > system preference > start up disk (highlight the drive)
    By upgrading SSD your mbp should run you another 5+ years if not more, another words not buying another one within that period. Cannot guarantee that though.

13. EricT43 macrumors regular

This ^^^

This is the method I used to install an SSD into my 13" cMBP. Piece of cake!

14. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

As others have pointed out the process for upgrading both your HDD and RAM in the uMBP is easy. Rest assured you should absolutely do that and save yourself the significant premium that Apple charges for upgrades. You may even take the savings one step further and pick up a refurb!

>