Buying a new MBP, but to wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jenova117, Mar 25, 2010.

1. jenova117 macrumors newbie

I see in the Buyer's guide that you should wait to buy a new MBP. However, will the price of that new MBP grow? I don't want to wait and then find out that the price for the MBP is higher than now.

(To be specific, I am looking to buy the 15" 2.53GHZ.)

Another question I have is is the screen size from a 15" to a 13" a huge difference? A video side-by-side comparison (which scouring youtube returns nothing :( ) would be helpful. The price difference is also very enticing.

Thanks,
    Jenova117

2. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

If you need the machine now, by all means get it now.

I don't think that the price is going to fluctuate very much, if at all.

And the 2" difference is one that you will notice, especially side-to-side. I bought the 13" for portability, but when it's right next to my friend's 15", it's a world of difference.

Good luck!

3. shaneomac.28 macrumors newbie

shaneomac.28

yes and YES

Hey Jenova,

I recently purchased a 15 inch 2.53 Macbook pro upgrading from the first release of the 13 inch macbook and YES there is a significant difference in screen size.

This is for two very simple reasons:

The obvious is the 2.1 inch diagonal difference from a 13.3 to a 15.4 inch display.

Equally as important is the pixelation. The smaller is 1280 by 800 and the larger 1440 x 900. More pixels means more screen relestate. Adding additional size as well as increased pixelations to the 15 inch model makes a BIG difference.

The led displays and color gambit are amazing on all the new macbook pros. Just comes down to what you can afford and what works best for your needs but oh yeah there is a very real difference.

4. JNickyJJ macrumors member

the price shouldn't grow [​IMG] it hasnt in my past 4 years of apple products. I have a 13" unibody macbook and my friend has a 15" macbook pro, and really, unless you are doing some editing or something, there is little need for the extra space

5. LERsince1991 macrumors 65816

I bought a unibody 13" macbook 6 months before they released the current one, so basically I don't have a sd card slot and stuff. Hasn't made a difference at all :) So pleased at how much the laptop has helped me in those 6 months I wouldn't have changed it. so basically I needed it so I got it

screen size is a big difference too

6. jenova117 thread starter macrumors newbie

any other thoughts about a price increase? a couple of hundred dollars makes a significant difference in my budget.

thanks.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Firstly, the difference in resolution is very minor. It's 160 pixels horizontally, and 100 pixels vertically. It makes a difference, but that difference is VERY small with regards to usable desktop space. In fact, I think the 15" MB. Is due for a processor AND screen resolution upgrade. The option of a higher res screen would be nice.

Secondly, the 15" version is, for what they currently give you, horrible value. Mac laptops are always like that. The laptops are worth the price (considering both hardware an OS) after an update. Over time, it looks like you get less and less in return. Apple simply doesn't update their laptop often enough.

My point is that you'd be overpaying now, but if you wait, you'd probably be paying a reasonable price for what you get in return.

8. Jamo12 macrumors regular

Jamo12

I disagree with your first paragraph (except the screen resolution thing, I could really use a higher resolution screen) The extra 160 and 100 pixels is equal to a 25% increase in SA over the 13". I would never go to the 13" after having my 15" and its extra room.

Second and Third paragraph are spot on.

9. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

The refresh will NOT, make the price go up. It 100% will not happen.

As far as 13 vs 15, unless your looking to do something that requires the 9600 GT, the 13 is better as it is more portable and the money you save gets an external display.