Buying a new Powerbook G4 Battery?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Rorschach Bat, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Rorschach Bat macrumors newbie

So right now I'm running a 1.5GHz 12" Powerbook G4. I'm on my third battery so far, and I've come to find that their life is little more than a year. The one I have currently holds a charge for no more than about 15-20 minutes. It's a real shame, too, because I've got the most portable laptop Apple's ever produced, but I have to carry around my power adapter every time I want to use it.
    So I went on Apple's website to purchase a new battery. I found in the review section, though, that this problem seems to plague every new G4 battery produced since the recall a few years ago. Everyone seems to detail the same problem I've been having for my last two replacements. Instead of buying a new one from Apple, knowing that I'll need another in only a year, I was thinking about buying a third-party battery. I was wondering if anyone had any experience buying a battery from someone other than Apple. I'm a little apprehensive, but I'd certainly rather not waste my money on a sub-par product.

Thanks!

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Newer Technologies makes a good 3rd party replacement. You can get it at OWC.

3. Rorschach Bat thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the brand. I looked online for some tests, but I couldn't find anything in the way of long-term usage. Has anyone here used that brand or any other one that stands the test of time?

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

5. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

:rolleyes:

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

^ So sorry! I didn't read carefully! Please ignore my post then. But still head to eBay for a replacement, just make sure it's not an Apple battery. But if I remember correctly from my iBook G4 (I know, it's not the same battery), my battery was free of the defect they recalled batteries for.