Buying a new S3 in 2019?

B.A.T

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 16, 2009
Idaho
Currently I have a Garmin watch that I use for my running and exercise tracking and I wear it all the time. I got the watch for $175 three years ago and it still works great. The problem for me is that my old eyes can't read the notifications when they come in (black and white screen) nor can I read my split times when I'm running because the font is small and fuzzy to my eyes. I'm 52 and my eyes are about average for someone my age which means I use readers when I'm reading a book.
I want to get an Apple Watch because I see my wife's notifications look sharp and clear and she can respond to them on her watch which is great. My question is how fast does the S3 operate on os6 and how long do people think the watch will be supported by Apple? Ideally I'd love to get three years use out of it.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
My question is how fast does the S3 operate on os6 and how long do people think the watch will be supported by Apple?
I just bought a S3 (my first AW) and see no issues at all on OS6 with speed. Everything pops right up pretty much instantly.

Ideally I'd love to get three years use out of it.
Just a guess based on them now dropping features for the older Watches, I'm thinking we can get three years of support on a new S3.

VideoFreek

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2007
Philly
Counterpoint here: you mention your problem with "old eyes", and I share this problem. The substantially larger display on the S4/S5 is what swayed me to upgrade from my S3...there really is a difference. Another consideration: the S3 is already 2 years old, and the processor in the S4/S5 is considerably faster. If you really want to ensure 3 years' longevity, I would recommend that you seriously consider one of the later models. With the S5 just out, a number of people (such as myself) have upgraded, and so you should be able to pick up a one year-old S4 for $100-150 less than the cost of a comparable S5, from the Refurb store or via private sale.

Reactions: Nugget and B.A.T

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
The Series 3 Apple Watch did not include the 64-bit architecture that the Series 4 did, however, I’d still say the support should easily supersede watchOS 6 and probably end around watchOS 7. But given the current discount, I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase it.

Reactions: Weaselboy

1rottenapple

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2004
Os 6 has breathed new life in the series 3. Home kit now works in a few seconds. It was unusable in os 5. I have an app to unlock my car and start it, and it was unusable before. It took 40-60 to work on the previous version and most on the time it quits and doesn’t work but now, it works in 10sec! Much much much better!

Nugget

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
Houston Texas USA
Counterpoint here: you mention your problem with "old eyes", and I share this problem. The substantially larger display on the S4/S5 is what swayed me to upgrade from my S3...there really is a difference.
As another poster with old eyes, I heartily second this. I’ve got an S3 that I wear at night for sleep tracking and an S4 that I wear during the day. The S4 is noticeably easier to read. Those few extra pixels make quite a difference. I’d suggest saving up a bit longer for an S5, or buying an S4 used which should be easy to do right now as many owners upgrade.

Reactions: B.A.T