Buying a new TV next week and a PS3 **need help**

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by theFranchise25, May 7, 2008.

1. theFranchise25 macrumors member

Ok im buying a new tv next week with a PS3. Looking at the Vizios. ANY info or opinions is appreciated. My budget is $700 after tax! (for the tv) im looking at 32in since we (my wife and two toddlers) live in a apt. what does everyone think of these? and whats the main difference? one is at walmart for like 600 on sale and the other at sears for like 629. the sears is the 1st one.
    choice 1:
    Vizio 32 in. LCD Integrated HDTV (720p)
    model# VU32L HDTV10A
    * 1366 x 768 pixel resolution
    * 450 cd/m Brightness
    * 5500:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio
    * 178 deg. Viewing Angle (Horzontal & Vertical)
    * Action Sensor Technology
    * Enhanced Contrast Technology
    * 20 Watt (10W x 2) Audio
    * Inputs - HDMI w/ HDCP(3), Component (2), Composite, S-Video, RF, Analog RGB
    Outputs - SPDIF Digital Audio, Analog Audio, Headphone Jack
    TV Type: LCD

Choice 2
    Vizio 32 in. LCD HDTV
    model# VW32LHDTV10A
    * 1366 x 768 pixel resolution
    * 1,000:1 Contrast Ratio for incredible detail & clarity
    * Superior viewing from any angle with 178-degree horizontal & vertical viewing angles
    * Built-In Digital HDTV & Standard TV Combined Tuner
    * Wall-Mount Capable; only 4.3 in. thick without stand
    * 2 HDMI outputs for optimal digital connectivity
    * Includes Vizio Remote Control
    * Inputs: HDMI (2), Component (2), PC, Composite (2), Stereo Audio (8)

**EDITED** ok it looks as if the contrast ratio is different in one. is that a major difference?

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

The first thing you need to do is figure out where the specs differ. Simply listing out 300 lines is not helpfull you need to compare them and list only the difference.

3. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

These model descriptions are very similar. It's also possible that one of these descriptions is slightly off.

Things to consider are the fact that the first option has more HDMI ports (1 more), and they stated they are HDCP compliant, which is crucial, but not necessarily lacking on the other model. It doesn't say on either if they are HDMI 1.3, 1.0, 1.2, etc, or not. HDMI ports can be important if you have multiple console games, and or a computer attached, but you also have the option of purchasing an HDMI switch if it later becomes an issue. You'll need an HDMI cable for the PS3.

The VGA port is often less than optimal when connecting a computer, and going with a DVI/HDMI cable can often produce better resolutions, just like DVI trumps VGA.

The first model is not Energy Star compliant, which is odd considering the age we live in, but may not be of concern to you. Other than that, it's hard to say, as the descriptions may be lacking. Having a headphone jack is important to some people who don't have a receiver/speaker setup. It's only listed on option 1. The same for SPDIF port on option 1, but lacking on the second model.

The brightness/contrast ratio is the other difference, and this can be a factor when calibrating the TV's colors for optimal viewing in your environment, but the difference is minimal, so it's probably not a deal breaker.

Aside from these, they are basically the same according to the descriptions you listed. If I had to choose between them, I'd go to Walmart and look at the box and go by the description there. I'd also bug a sales person about how new the model is, and if there is a newer model out there, and check out the display model. I say Walmart because they have a superior return policy to Sears. It's probable that at least one is last years model, hence the price.

Check out the Vizio website, and note the description for the VW32L 32". The VU32L has a much better contrast ratio. I don't know if these are newer models than offered at Sears/Walmart, but I'd tend to trust their website more?

4. theFranchise25 thread starter macrumors member

5. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

The price is awesomeness. The TV is a good entry level HDTV, and I think you'll probably be satisfied with it. PS3 looks great on the smaller 720P TV's, so unless you sit too closely (less than 4 feet), you'll enjoy the picture with both games and movies. You have a 90 day return policy with Walmart, and you honestly can't beat that, so I say go for it. :)

6. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Ugh, Vizio. They are not good TVs and I do not recommend them. Samsung makes a 32" LCD TV 720P 7000:1 contrast ratio for 699. I own a Sansung and it is awesome, Vizio is not very good considering you can get something way better for less than 100 more dollars.

7. theFranchise25 thread starter macrumors member

thanks digital, great thoughts. vizio has been rated good before. maybe you had a bad experience zwhaler(?). those samsungs are soooooooo nice though. it is only a hundred bucks but i gotta stick with my budget since im getting a ps3. i do keep hearing that a smaller lcd tv tends to look better. my brother has a 47in (i think) sony bravia 1080p and even he said smaller lcds tend to look better in some cases. i think i am getting that vizio. cant wait!! :D

8. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

I have that same tv from walmart. I managed to get them to knock it down to 560 including tax because I was looking at the slightly cheaper emerson model at one point and asked about it and after some talking about price I managed to get them to knock a bit off to be equal with the lesser tv. Something WALMART didn't have to do at all, but they did, which was neat. Maybe you'll get a nice sales guy

anyway, I have to say, that for the price it's quite a splendid tv. I think you'll be happy with it. You may have to play with the brightness and color controls a bit to get it where you like it, but all in all i've had great experience with it. I had it hooked to my mini for quite a while too and the HD content looked splendid.

9. theFranchise25 thread starter macrumors member

thanks!! im getting more excited. ill have to post my setup when i get it.

10. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

advice: don't buy ANY audio/video cables at the electronics store. they can be found online for VERY cheap! The markup on these things is huge!

11. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Vizio? Never heard of it. Is that like Panaosonic? :rolleyes:

12. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

And you're implying that Panasonic makes bad TVs? Actually, they make some of the best bang-for-buck plasmas on the market (that is of course, if you're looking for a plasma because LCDs really aren't their forte).

Vizio is a brand sold mostly at a warehouse stores like Costco and Sam's Club. They're cheap TVs, but surprisingly good for the money. Are they better than Samsung and Sony LCDs? Probably not.

13. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

Vizio is not a top brand by any stretch, hehe. But when you're on a tight budget, and intend to get a smaller TV at a retailer who has an excellent return policy, it can be a decent gamble. If it sucks, he can return/exchange it. If it sucks and he comes up with a bit more money within that 90 days, all the better. But I think he'll be satisfied with it. :)

I purchased a 26" Toshiba Regza for my PS3, and paid $700 with shipping. It was a gamble, as I got it from an online retailer (newegg.com), and didn't have the excellent return policy to rely on if things went badly, but it worked out well.

Now I'm looking at getting a 46" Samsung or Sony for my lounge, and will be paying around $2500 for the TV, extended warranty, wall mounting, and delivery. I'm glad I started out with a cheaper, smaller HDTV first, and it'll still be used in my bedroom. BTW, the Toshiba Regza is fab, and looks great with the PS3, for those considering.

Anyway... OP, I can't wait to see photos of your new setup! :)

14. theFranchise25 thread starter macrumors member

thanks digital. thats my plan. get a smaller one now. then later..waaaayy later lol ill put it in the bedroom. kmart had a sony 32in on clearence for 649 i think. i saw it and i was like hmmmmmmm....:apple:

15. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

LOL they all seem to be dropping their prices, so we'll probably both get good deals when we're ready to go bigger. Sony is definitely a better brand, and if you can swing it, it'd be a nice option. Not sure what Kmart's return policy is, but there's always the warranty, and the security of purchasing from a brick and mortar retailer... ;)