Buying A New Unibody... Comparable to old model?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MAC-PRO-DEMON, Feb 1, 2009.

1. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

I am looking to buy the new (or not so new) unibody MacBook Pro....
    I was wondering whether it was worth buying it over the performance
    Gains from the best of the last generation, 2.6 4GB of ram.
    I am happy to spend my money buying one, but just want the advice
    Before I do!!!!
    1st Question: Will it be any faster than my old one???
    2nd Question: Is the glossy screen all that bad, as I have an iMac and I don't mind that.
    3rd question: I am happy to go all out with the spec, but is it worth it? (2.8 over 2.6 4GB over 6GB
    4th Question: I am currently using my MacBook Pro hooked up to a 30" Cinema Display that Has been made redundent from my mac pro... (The other one is on my powermac) Will I still be able to , or do I have to get the 24" display that has been released!!!

Thanks, Jack
    I am in the UK

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

It won't be a lot faster, but I'm sure if you did benchmarks you might gain a few points. It won't be a huge speed increase.

Unless you are doing work that needs to be color correct then a glossy screen should be ok. The reflections might bother you at times though.

What programs do you run that would warrant the higher specced computer?

Yes, you'll still be able to use the 30" display however you will need to get the dual-link adapter for it to work.

3. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

4. MAC-PRO-DEMON thread starter macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

Thanks.......

Thanks......

On the score of programs, I use Aycan Workstation Osirix (Medical Imaging Program)
    Photoshop CS4 (Also for Volume Rendering Medical Images)
    Aperture 2 (For personal photography)
    Parallels Desktop 4 (Runs Vista Ultimate 64Bit for other medical stuff)
    Keynote/Pages (Always open so can do work)
    iChat (For Video Conf. with colleagues)
    Also Safari 4 & Mail but they don't really count....

On the colour correct... I do stuff with Medical Imaging (Radiology *My Job*) so I kind of do.. Is there a way that you can have a Matte Display on it?

My current computer is very fast and I do sometimes use the Full Power of it when I am using Osirix..... as It uses the GPU to its full power...

Plus I have heard that it has 2 GPU's so would it be faster when doing Graphics intensive jobs, or will it just be a pain on battery life????

Jack

5. 929406 macrumors regular

what i'm using

I don't see a huge speed jump from my late 08 MBP to the new unibody of the same spec, certainly no slower. I am using my old 23" ACD linked to the MBP via a mini display to dvi adapter, no worries so far

6. lordthistle macrumors 6502

If you're using your screen for watching medical images, I strongly suggest you not to buy the new super-glossy glass screens. I work (also) on medical images and I am not able to see blacks and dark colours any more: I only see the mirrorish reflections of what I have around me.

thistle

7. miguelito macrumors member

miguelito

On glossy vs matte:

My understanding is that the glossy display is MORE color-correct than the matte. The reason is that the matte display produces a "blurring" effect, effectively mixing up neighboring pixels's color. My understanding is this is why blacks are deeper and type is clearer.

Of course if a reflection is preventing you from seeing the screen then all this is pointless, but having lived with a mbp 15" matte screen for 2+ years and looking at the iphone with both glossy (the standard) and matte (with a film) finish, I am rather skeptical about "reflections".

In my experience in fact, I'd say bright light makes the matte screen washed out regardless of the angle. YMMV.

On color-correctness:

If you really want color-correct, you simply must calibrate the display. I use the GretagMacbeth thingie (can't remember the name now, eye-one display 2 or something).

Also remember the new display backlighting is led based, which will give you both wider gamut and more consistent results over time.

miguel

8. MAC-PRO-DEMON thread starter macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

Thanks, but as far as i'm aware, you can only get a matte display on a 17" Model and that is to big for me to transport.....

9. sclough macrumors regular

I would say the video card in the new unibody might tip the scales in favor of the new MBP. There are problems with at least some and maybe all of the 8600 video cards in the previous MBP, so I would probably just buy a unibody to avoid the risk.

10. jdhmd macrumors newbie

matte vs. glossy

Hi Jack,

i am also in rads and am contemplating buying a new MBP 17". i thought that the glossy screen would be better than the matte due to better color definition (black and white) and resolution especially for mamms or plain film, perhaps in cross sectional imaging too.. i could be wrong but the matte finish i thought would cause some blur of the edges. what do you think? I'm still deciding which screen to order....

John

11. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

I think it's important to remember that the 17" isn't actually 2" larger than the 15" in terms of it's footprint. The border around the display on the 17" is a lot smaller than the 15" and therefore isn't as larger as most people think.

12. apersianboyCOM macrumors 6502

That's really cool... I'm a Radiology student :D Which hospital do you work at? On your profile it says Head of Department, I take it your a Superintendent Radiographer?
    I'd recommend the new 17" MBP (2.66GHz with 4GB RAM) because it comes in Matte, and it has a better colour gamut so the range of greys on the X-rays etc will be much better. Although you'd probable have to wait until the end of February as they still haven't shipped yet!

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You will need to send your computer in for the $200 TechRestore Glossy-to-Matte conversion.

14. lordthistle macrumors 6502

Just to understand. I have never seen a glossy screen in any radiological department I have ever visited. But I'm a computer scientist, I think you've seen more than me.

Do you have glossy screens in your radiological departments? I thought it was impossible. I'm not speaking about specialized medical equipment (that comes always in matte finish), but also about PC or workstations used to perform basic diagnostic tasks.

thistle

15. MAC-PRO-DEMON thread starter macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

I'm not really sure about the colour correctness of Glossy Screens.... as I havn't heard it anywhere else.....

Again, no we dont have any Glossy Screens in our departments.... but for work on the go I have an iMac at home which is glossy......

Thanks on the tip that the footprint of the 17" one.... My mate has an old 17" one.. and he has showed me the size.. It just fits in my bag (Which I didn't think that it could...) I guess that the size of the New 17" is no bigger so that is what I'm going to get!!!!!

I have ordered a 17" Macbook Pro with 8GB of ram... and a 256GB SSD as my mac technician said that he didn't know how to upgrade the Memory in it.... Also I have ordered a 500GB 7200RPM 2.5" drive that I should be able to swap with it RIGHT???????

At a total cost of £3370, its a huge investment... and I will probhably be using it for the next 4 years.....!!!

I didn't get the Adaptor for the 30" Cinema Display... where can I get one from that works?????

I don't think so from what I have read..... also John just get the 17" if you can afford to but the tech restore 15" conversion should also be ok too...... if you live in the states!!!

Thanks again, and also where do you study..... apersianboyCOM

Jack