Buying a No-Contract iPhone (5s, 6, 6s)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aKansasKid, Sep 24, 2015.

1. aKansasKid macrumors regular

If I want to buy a new no-contract iPhone soon that will run on a Verizon MVNO (like Page Plus), as I understand it these are my current options:

1) iPhone 6s: Buy the T-Mobile version, as it is unlocked and will run on all Verizon's LTE and CDMA bands. (Is this true?)

2) iPhone 6: Buy the SIM-Free version, as it is unlocked and has the LTE and CDMA bands of all four major carriers.

3) iPhone 5s: The SIM-free version is GSM only, so I need to buy the Verizon version. Apple.com won't let me order one without a Verizon contract. Is it likely that a Verizon corporate store will sell me one without a contract? Has anyone done this? I also have heard that Apple Stores will sell one without a contract - just pay in full and use it as you like. Has anyone done this? Is this policy true at all Apple Stores? (My nearest four are all 200 miles away.)

Corrections welcomed - preferably based on your own experience. :)

2. ldpm14 macrumors 6502

ldpm14

No. An unlocked GSM or T-Mobile iPhone will not work with Verizon. A GSM iPhone will only work with AT&T and T-Mobile. Only a CDMA iPhone will work with Verizon. Talk with Verizon about purchasing an off-contract iPhone 6 as it will probably be easier than buying one from Apple.

3. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Here are the corrections

1) Buy the Verizon version of the iPhone 6S. It will for sure support the Verizon network and the GSM slot is still unlocked so you can use it anywhere else too. This is the safest option.

2) I am not sure if the iPhone 6 supports CDMA on all the phones or if only CDMA carrier versions had it. Typically the Sim-free and unlocked options were GSM versions. Again, safest bet is to get the Verizon model as they've all had the GSM slot unlocked since the iPhone 5.

3) You should be able to walk into an Apple store and just buy the Verizon version of the 5S without any hassles. I have done this before with the iPhone 5. You just walk in, buy it, and leave. They don't ask you to verify your contract or agreement if you're just buying the full price replacement. I don't know why the website does, but I am 99% sure you can get an actual Apple store to sell it to you.