Buying a Older Iphone or Ipod Touch

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Laurencia7, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Laurencia7 macrumors 6502

Hey guys

I have been trying to decide whether I should even do this or not, but I found a few good deals online for the iPhone 3gs, or iPod Touch. Unlocked phones of course so I could choose the GMS carrier. But I wanted to know if it is even worth it? I am mainly doing this to cut down on monthly bills for a phone, and not have a contract with a newer iphone.

Or not have a bill at all and buy a iPod touch etc. I was also looking at an unlocked Samsung Galaxy s2 or s3, or the Samsung Galaxy player 5.0.
    neither being the 600$ price tag, more 100-150 range.

I basically want something to play music, browse a little internet, and text. Is it even worth buying a used iPhone 3gs? or the others? I have never had a smartphone or smart device, this would be my first.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If this is your first device, a 3Gs would be a good start. While a bit old, it can run the latest stuff and are cheap. But just remember it only has around one year of support from left from Apple. And don't expect to have a blazing fast device. While usable, they are slow. But with this being your first smartphone, it'll set the bar for you in terms of speed and make your next device seem really fast.

3. Laurencia7, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012

Laurencia7 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! I have an older Macbook too, so I figured it would be ok. I would like the newer ones but the unlocked versions are waaay too expensive. They said online, don't update through itunes or it won't be unlocked... does that mean itunes cannot be updated or just the software? and will a 3GS work with my 5,2 Early 2009 Macbook Leopard?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Most 3Gs' in the US are from AT&T. And most of those are out of their two year contract and can be unlocked through AT&T.

5. Laurencia7 thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh ok, cool. So if I just bought another sim card for a prepaid plan I could use it, and not worry it was going to be subject to at&t charges etc? Also, could it send texts without a sim card thru wifi? or does it not work without a sim card?