Buying a phone for use in Turkey

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ray Brady, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Ray Brady macrumors 6502

Howdy all. I've got a friend who has relatives coming in from Turkey at the end of October. One of them wants to buy a new iPhone while he's here, and since I've never done anything like this before, I wanted to make sure I understood the process.

As I understand it, Turkey is on the GSM network, so an unlocked, SIM-free iPhone directly from the Apple Store should work there. They just need to get a SIM from their local carrier, pay a registration fee to register the IMEI with the government, and they're good to go. Am I understanding that correctly, or are there additional complications?

Now, if they want a 6s, is that going to be possible to get in late October? I notice it's not available to pre-order SIM-free. Will that change a month from now? Or is it possible to buy a T-Mobile version, even if you don't have a T-Mobile account?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have.

2. t0dd macrumors newbie

you're totally right. all they need is to buy an unlocked iPhone and pay the registration fee.

i think we will get earlier than late October, the reason they want to buy from there is its a lot cheaper than here.

cheers from TR.

3. Ray Brady thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the confirmation, t0dd. Much appreciated.