Buying a Portable - Please Recommend?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacPuck, Sep 2, 2008.

1. MacPuck macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

This is my first post and i have been lurking around alot to read up on what everyone says.
    Anyway, i think i am about ready to make the jump now.

I'm starting Uni in London and flying off on the 13th. I am staying in Singapore currently. Its cheaper to buy my Mac here. I have some questions though. As i'm still a student, i do have a particular budget that i have to stick to. Currently, i have a few options. So i was hoping you guys will give me some pointers in which mac i should choose.

Basically, i will need a portable. I will use the machine for mails, surfing the net, school work, a bit of gaming and light photo editing (Amateur). I will install windows XP sp2 to use MS office and game. Might consider VM ware or parallels or do you guys think that bootcamp is sufficient?

I have listed out 3 options.
    Feel free to counter suggest anything else you guys might think is a better recommendation.
    Btw, is there any history that shows that if i wait till 9th Sept (IF there is an update...) will the refurbish store reduce the price further?
    All prices quoted below are in Singapore dollars.

My options are:

Option [1]
    MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    15.4-inch widescreen display
    2GB memory
    200GB hard drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT (256MB of GDDR3)
    - $2548 (inc taxes)

Option [2]
    MacBook, 13-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Black
    13.3-inch glossy widescreen display
    4GB memory (Self Upgrade - Cosair 2X 2GB DDR2 SO-DIMM PC5300 + S$158)
    250GB hard drive
    Double-Layer SuperDrive
    +
    Applecare for MacBook ($446)* Optional (Advisable?)

- $2552 ( $1948 + $158 + $446*)
    - $2106 *With out Applecare

Option [3]
    MacBook, 13-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    White
    13.3-inch glossy widescreen display
    4GB memory (Self Upgrade - Cosair 2X 2GB DDR2 SO-DIMM PC5300 + S$158)
    160GB hard drive (Will Swap it out for 2.5" 320GB SATA HDD at $150 myself)
    Double-Layer SuperDrive
    +
    Applecare for MacBook ($446)* Optional (Advisable?)

- $2402 ( $1648 + $158 + $150 + $446*)
    - $1956 *With out Applecare

Thanks - KM

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I would say option 1, but it doesn't look like AppleCare is on there. I'm sure you can allocate funds for AppleCare within 10 months or so right? If yes then I would definitely go for Option 1.

Otherwise Option 3, since why waste $100 on the Black color?

So: Buy the MBP; find money in 10 months and then buy AppleCare for it.

3. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68020

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    buy a WMB or BMB refurb from www Apple .com, and throw in 4 GB of Crucial RAM for under $94 (www.crucial.com):cool: very :cool:

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The guys lives in Singapore, so Crucial.com doesn't work. ;)

5. MacPuck thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for responding guys.

If i do get a Macbook pro, Should i try cough out a bit more to upgrade the it to 4GB of RAM? Do any of you guys recommend VM ware or just stick to bootcamp?

6. logana macrumors 65816

logana

VMware is excellent (and saves rebooting) but you need at least 2GB Ram (which you have - 3GB is better, so is 4GB !).

Have you checked prices here in the UK HE store - you might find them cheaper than you think (white MacBook will be £705 + 58 for Applecare = £763 or $1950). Is that not cheaper than your $2100 ? The MacBook is more expensive than Singapore but the AppleCare with HE discount is much cheaper.

You will qualify if you are studying at UK university and the Back to School promo should have started when you get here (free iPod ?).

AppleCare on a portable is sensible - if not essential.

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If you'd like more RAM, get it. DO NOT BUY RAM FROM APPLE.

And use Boot Camp.

8. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

If you aren't going to do a lot of gaming I would go with Option 2 or 3. If you like the black, do it. Don't listen to the complainers who say you have to pay $100 more. If you like black better then pay the $100 more. I did b/c I think black looks a lot better than white. Personal preference. The Pro for what you described isn't neccessary and if you get the current one you will have to deal with the problems it is having sooner or later. Plus with those other 2 options you have Applecare which is really needed in a laptop.

9. tompon1923 macrumors 6502

tompon1923

Go with option 1. If you have a mbp you are solid for a long time, the ram is not really a must if you get the mbp because it is already a lot faster as a regular macbook.

Good Luck

10. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

That is not true at all. There are many Macbook that are faster on many, many apps than the MBP. If you have a MB you are solid for a long time also. At least the Macbooks aren't a ticking time bomb with that piece of crap graphic card. The MBP does have better graphics, but it will die sooner than later. The Macbook most likely won't. It doesn't have that problem.

11. tompon1923 macrumors 6502

tompon1923

I definitely agree with you on the graphics card but, at least my experience told me that the mbp's are way more snappier. Besides as a student you often do gaming, edit photos and movies. The 8600 is definitely a must in most cases. If you are thinking in long therm, snow leopard will improve the mbp even more because it has a dedicated video card.

12. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I agree. The only games I play are poker and other games like that so it is no biggie to me. I have played some intense games and it has done alright. I'm just not a gamer like some of you. I do some editing of photos and videos which the Macbook performs awesome for what I do. I'm not a professional nor are most people. I just can't justify spending 500-800 more for something that won't benefit me. If I have to do some intense work, I use my desktop. The Macbook works for most people.

On many apps though, my Macbook outperforms my friends Pro. Just depends on what app it is.

13. MacPuck thread starter macrumors newbie

I made my Purchase

Hi Guys, ater reading what most had to say, i've made my order late last night. it'll be here on the 4th or 5th. Really excited even if its a refurb.

I chose a Macbook Pro in the end for the graphics card.. as i will be far away from home. i think i would be gaming a bit more than normal. While i am aware that portables are not meant or designed for gaming, i think having that bit more of an option is good for me. Don't want to feel shortchanged later when i can't run gfx intense programs. i might be required to use 3D autocad for school too.

I'm so relief to finally make my purchase. Now i can stop reading those "buy/wait" threads =D i think having extra time to get use to OS X would benefit me more than to wait.

I think i will have many questions later on how to do certain things with my Mac =p

Anyway, i just want to thank you guys for the quick and constructive feedback. =)

cheers, -km

14. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Congrats. The best advice I can give you is to buy the Applecare before the year is up. You will regret it if you don't especially with the major problems they are having with the graphic card.

15. MacPuck thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup, i'm drawing up a plan to buy it already.
    Should be no problems to get it in UK even if my mac is purchased in Singapore right?

i think the edu discount still works if you are just buying applecare.

So it will still be the same price.

Thanks again,
    -km