Buying a preloved MacBook Sunday

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by justaregularjoe, Mar 12, 2010.

1. justaregularjoe macrumors 6502

So like the thread title says...

Getting a used MacBook on Sunday, if all goes well, just one question.

This is not the Unibody model, it is the model JUST before the Unibodies came out.
    Given that, is $700 a good Price for 2.26/2 GB/9400M/250GB HDD?

Also, if (heaven forbid) I get a top case crack, will apple be nice and maybe upgrade me to the unibody if I buy AppleCare?

Thanks
    joe

2. sml238 macrumors regular

sml238

700 seems a bit high for the old macbook. i would tell him 500

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

AppleCare doesn't cover damage due to accidents; only manufacturing defects.

4. justaregularjoe thread starter macrumors 6502

Really? It has identical specs to the current Unibodies being sold, only with a trackpad that still has a button, and maybe not as curvy of a shell. They sell for 1099 + tax, this is 700 even.

Relevant pics are relevant.

Yeah, but I though that virtually every Macbook got them, so Apple was chill with fixing them.

Attached Files:

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No.

6. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

7. justaregularjoe thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh. Well thanks for informing me.

Yeah, I dont know about that either, but I'd imagine that this is just a BTO order

BTW, CPU is 2.26, not 2.2, aka the P7550

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

True. The only MacBook with a 2.26GHz processor is the most recent, Late 2009 model (MC207LL/A), which is a unibody.

9. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

I think that's a fair price if it's in good working order and is in acceptable appearance.

It's hard to say because claims like that are handled on a case-by-case basis (no pun intended). It would really be up to Apple. I'm not sure where you're buying the MacBook but if it already has AppleCare, it can be transferred to your name. If you need to buy AppleCare, keep in mind that you have a year from the original purchase date which may be coming up soon.

Good luck with your purchase. I think it's a great choice and if it's your first Mac.. welcome to everything that that entails as well. -GDF

10. justaregularjoe thread starter macrumors 6502

I am gonna go send the guy another email, maybe he just cpoy-pasted the specs from Apple's page, thinking they were still the same thing.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can find specs on all Apple products with Mactracker

12. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Ask him/her to send you a screen shot of the "About This Mac - More Details" page. (Command-shift-3 for the screen shot)

13. sml238 macrumors regular

sml238

yeah i doubt that has a 250gb hd either. its probly a 160 or a 120

and the new macbooks are not 1099 plus tax. there 999 plus tax. and you can get refurbished ones for 800.

so if i were you i wouldnt pay 700 for an older macbook. 600 would be fair but i would shoot for 500 to be honest.

computers lose a lot of value as soon as you buy them. and especially when there out dated.

the book looks to be in good shape at least though. talk to the guy, tell him the specs are not correct that he gave you and offer a lower price.

14. justaregularjoe thread starter macrumors 6502

Canada! Add $100 for everything. :mad:
    Refurbed Macbook in the Canada store for 929.00. So 229.00 for 0.13GHz, 90 GB of storage, and a facier touchpad. Cant really justify that, especially when I am getting this machine as a "holy-hell-i-hate-my-sucky-windows-box-more-than-a-crying-babv" machine, and as my first mac.

Consider this an experiment. :D

15. sml238 macrumors regular

sml238

yeah man im not trying to bash you. more power to ya if you get it. it doesnt bother me what you pay i was just saying i would offer a little less for sure. but good luck to ya

16. justaregularjoe thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks.

17. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

I bought a brand new Macbook for just $99 more than you're going to pay. At Microcenter. $799.99

18. justinfreid macrumors 6502

justinfreid

You seem to have a strong grasp of the model line, but with the rapidity of the MacBook's evolution I agree with other responses that $700 is too much. It's not just a matter of the specs that you've listed, but also that the unibody MacBook also has a built-in battery which provides 7 hours of usability plus an all around stronger case.
    Plus (though I don't know if the link will stay fresh) a refurbished MacBook with the same specs and a yearlong warranty is $849: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC207LL/A?mco=MTU5MzE0Mzc
    I'd start the negotiations at $600 as a result.

Also, there's a matter of software to consider, even though Snow Leopard is just $29.

Oh, and even if you get the previous generation MacBook, don't fret the case cracks; they're not that prevalent.

19. justinfreid macrumors 6502

justinfreid

20. Striker-UMB macrumors regular

I would never pay $700 man, and I sure hope you wouldn't. Like everyone else has said the older MacBook's HD was like 120GB-160GB's not 250 unless he upgraded. They also weren't 2.26GHz either I believe they were 2.13GHz or something around there. They didn't have DDR3 1066 ram, they had DDR2 667 or 800. No LED backlit screen and a lower grade battery that only lasts if your lucky for 5 hours, but since its been used, probably not even that long anymore. And you know what the multi touch glass trackpad is freaking awesome, one of the best things about the MacBook, you will be surprised at just how much you will use all the multi touch gestures on a daily basis. Point is if you are smart do not pay $700 for that MacBook, if you shop around you can get the MUCH more attractive and better spec 13.3" LED backlit unibody MacBook:apple: in the low-mid $800. If its in great condition the older MacBook is probably worth about $500-$550, $600 MAX. Anyways good luck man, hopefully you make the right decision, but in the end its your money so do what you please.

21. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

would you consider a unibody white macbook for 700 to be a good deal?

22. appleguy1236 macrumors newbie

You know what this person is right, because i have one of these macbooks and the multi-touch glass trackpad is "freaking awesome". Well back to that don't pay $700 for that MacBook. You can most definatly find the macbook late 09 for the mid $800s and thats worth it. Also the old macbook is worth about $500-$550 and $600 maximum price. Like what Striker-UMB said, I just support his statement.
    In conclusion I do also hope you find the mac that suites you!:apple:

23. sml238 macrumors regular

sml238

did you end up making a decision man? if you dont have the extra cash to spend about 850 on the unibody, then show the guy this thread...because you really shouldn't be paying more than 550 for the older macbook. honestly if i had the older one id be glad to sell it for 550. my friend just sold the same one except in black for 350 bucks, it also was in good shape. fully functional, but with some minor cosmetic flaws. (granted, he didnt try very hard to sell it he just wanted the money but still...)

anyways, good luck again and keep us updated with your decision.

24. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

350? wow, I must have lucked out. I sold my first gen blackbook from 2006 a couple days ago for 550

25. sml238 macrumors regular

sml238

yeah you made out good. like i said before i wouldnt pay more than about 550 for a 06 macbook in very good condition. my friend let his go for a good price because he didnt want to hold onto it. but still..if you make 500 off your 06 macbook your getting the right amount of money id say.