Buying a projector...are Macbook Pros "compatiible?"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by teledude, Jul 2, 2010.

1. teledude macrumors newbie

teledude

I'm new to my Macbook Pro. With the proper attachment, will the LCD projectors work with Mac??

2. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Yes but you will need to buy a mini display port adaptor from Apple for $20-$30.

3. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

or a generic one for like $7

4. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Really, I didnt think there were generics for mini display port... good to know.

5. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Just to propose this but why would it not? The MacBook pro is just a video source no differently than a DVD player, blu ray player, video console or windows computer. As long as you have the appropriate interconnection it will work.
    If you want a good quality generic adapter look at monoprice.com.

6. MikeinJapan macrumors regular

As walker said most will be fine but to be on the save side I would try it in the shop with the MacBook pro. Any respectable brand will work fine but I think 90% will be fine. I have never had any troubles on my travels using projectors. I visit clients and give presentations once or twice a month using their projectors in their meeting rooms with no trouble since starting the job 4 years ago but I'm not using HDMI but DVI but being that they are almost the same technology I think you are safe.

Out of interest, is this for personal use?

7. teledude thread starter macrumors newbie

teledude

It will be for a non-profit camp, we provide video footage at the end. Some personal use. I realize the adaptor is the ticket, I just wanted to know if there were any other quirks out there.
    Thank you.

8. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yeah you'll just need a mini display port dongle. :D