Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
I was going to post this on a PS3 forum but it would let me make a new thread after a registered and done a few posts so I gave up and thought there must be someone who can help me on MacRumors!

So, seeing as my iBook has suffered from a dead hard drive, and im using my old Windows computer now (aka: im living in hell) I want to get a replacement machine thats affordable but still good. And most of all it CANT RUN WINDOWS! Now, I realize I cant run OS X on the PS3, but I can run Linux, plus when I decide to go HD I know the PS3 will be able to handle it, plus its a games console and a media center, plus its a computer. It has a 3.2GHz CPU so it sounds decent, I realize there is a lack of RAM but im used to it (384MB and 900MHz on my iBook) so I dont really mind. I also used Linux before (Ubuntu) so im used to it and I like it. The best part? Its only £300!

But I want to ask the PS3 wielding people of these forums, is that practical? Will it work well? What is your experience with it?

Also, can I use it with a non-HD computer monitor?

Thanks in advance! :)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Bad idea. The PS3 was built for games, not Linux. It runs very badly.
The ram is split in half; 256mb for system, 256mb for video. The CPU isn't optimised so you can scrap all them cores. It isn't a 3.2ghz as you'd expect, say a 3.2ghz C2D to be. It's much slower than that.

You're also limited by video connections. It doesn't have DVI or VGA output. But it does have HDMI, if your monitor has a port for that.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Bad idea. The PS3 was built for games, not Linux. It runs very badly.
The ram is split in half; 256mb for system, 256mb for video. The CPU isn't optimised so you can scrap all them cores. It isn't a 3.2ghz as you'd expect, say a 3.2ghz C2D to be. It's much slower than that.

You're also limited by video connections. It doesn't have DVI or VGA output. But it does have HDMI, if your monitor has a port for that.

isn't there cables with DVI on one end, and HDMI on the other?

adroit

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2005
Victoria, BC
If you really want the PS3 just buy the PS3, but just install linux in your old computer and use that as your main computer.

Like, raggedjimmi said, the PS3 won't preform well as a computer. It is not designed for regular computer usage.

maestro55

macrumors 68030
Nov 13, 2005
Goat Farm in Meridian, TX
Why spend the £300 on a PS3 when you could just get a new Hard Drive for your iBook and be back on a system you enjoy using without having to worry about how well your new £300 PS3 will run an OS?

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
Why spend the £300 on a PS3 when you could just get a new Hard Drive for your iBook and be back on a system you enjoy using without having to worry about how well your new £300 PS3 will run an OS?

Because I have been meaning to get a new computer anyway.

Thanks for your help everyone I will just settle for a Mac Mini.

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
One more question though, which is the best (and by best I mean cheapest but not crap) monitor to use for the Mini?

Also, can I install Ubuntu and Vista (I know I said I didnt want it to run Windows is my first post but I need it to run some programs) with boot camp?

Technically that was 2 questions but whatever... :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.