Buying a Puppy!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Mac-Addict, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Hey guys! I'm going to go to a farm in a few hours to meet a Border Terrier puppy breeder as I am in somerset about 4-5 hours drive from where I am, we are planning on buying her (we want a b!tch) today and picking her up tomorrow and driving home.. the only problem is the 4-5 hour drive.. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on what to do.. I know the need the toilet every 1-2 hours so we would have to stop but any other things?

2. • Jaz • macrumors member

I suggest buying one from a rescue home, nearer (probably), kinder and you're not funding those people - who often breed dogs in bad conditions - but don't worry - everything will look marvelous when you get there...

But yeah, rescue dogs all the way. :)

3. Queso macrumors G4

I remember when we brought our Schnauzer back. We stopped pretty much every hour just to let him have a wee. Make sure someone sits in the back of the car with her as she's likely to be very nervous, having spent her entire life up to now in a very small area and all of a sudden having lorries passing and such. A blanket to lie on, someone to pet her and a bowl of water should see her okay for the rest of the journey.

And make sure you have a plastic bag ready, open and to hand, just in case she gets carsick and decides to bring up breakfast. Don't worry, you'll get plenty of warning if she does.

4. bartelby macrumors Core

When we picked up our last pup I sat in the back all the way home a 2 hour+ drive. We stopped each time the lil guy woke up (where safe) and let him have a wee. We also stopped at services on the motorway and left him have a wee.

We also took his soft bed, a toy and some water. He was sick in the car, but we have a seat cover. We didn't consider the fact that he may be sick as our other dog slept all the way home when we picked him up as a pup.

5. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

I'd suggest a rescue home too. I don't undestand why people keep wanting some posh animal with pedigree... Your puppy we'll love you even more if you take it out of the street. Like pretty woman, but instead of a hooker, it's a dog.

6. Mac-Addict thread starter macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Thanks guys! I didn't consider the fact she might be sick... poos and wees I can deal with :p puke not so much xD

7. Queso macrumors G4

Just make sure you post pics once you get her home :)

8. bartelby macrumors Core

Oh, piece of advice.
    When you do go home carry the pup through the house to the garden and put them on the grass. Wait until she has gone to the loo and praise her like mad, treats are also useful to have.
    Take her into the garden every 30 minutes. and repeat the praise treating.

9. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I heard that for training the dog to do its business outside, you should always be with the dog inside your house. Then, when it starts to go in your house, take it immediately outside and let it finish there. When it's done outside, give it praise, etc.

10. Queso macrumors G4

We just made sure he went out once an hour during the day and for the first month one of us would get up half way through the night and take him too. Every time he did anything outside we made a big fuss of him. He worked it out within about 10 days. Then all we did was gradually increase the time between taking him out, until now we take him out four times a day and he completely empties himself on each walk.

11. bartelby macrumors Core

We had a problem with Loki (the pup) and Caleb (older dog) during the nights.
    They both shared a fairly small kitchen at night. During the nights they'd have epic marking battles over the ownership of the kitchen. At first we thought it was just Loki, but slowly we noticed a stain appearing a bit too far up the back door!:rolleyes:

We then separated them at night and the problem went away!

Caleb was brought up outside for his first 7 weeks of life so he was already trained to go on grass. In the first 6 months of owning him he had 3 accidents due to over excitment.

12. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I would put an old bed sheet over the back seat of the car- that protects from hair a lot, and some protection from urine and vomit.

If you have cloth seats you will really want the sheet. There's nothing like spending hours trying to get it off of the seats and out of the nooks and crannies.

13. Mac-Addict thread starter macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Just back from seeing the puppy! Shes so unbelievably cute :D:D:D:D We named her Megan and we are taking her back home tomorrow :D Thanks for all your advice, I've been reading the kennel club's website and that seems to have useful information.

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

15. Mac-Addict thread starter macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Ah there will be many many pics tomorrow :D

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

17. tkepongo macrumors regular

tkepongo

boy, i really want a puppy. Alaskan klee Kai to be precised. Anybody know where i can find a breeder?

18. Mac-Addict thread starter macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Back! She was fantastic in the car didn't poo or wee or be sick! Perfect in a 6 hour car trip, we have a big mirror in our house and she wont stop barking at herself :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    More Photos on the way but shes sleeping at the moment :D

19. Queso macrumors G4

Oh she is very cute. What an absolute sweetheart :)

20. Mac-Addict thread starter macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Shes very hard to photograph, Ill try and get some more tomorrow but shes howling because she doesnt like the dark downstairs. Sadly If I go and see her she will expect it when ever she calls so we have to just ignore her. Got to be cruel to be kind....

21. Queso macrumors G4

Awwww. It is hard. Our dog has always slept on a beanbag at the foot of our bed, even when he was a puppy, so we didn't have to go through that.

22. bartelby macrumors Core

try putting an unwashed t-shirt with her, and a ticking clock (if you have one).

Poor lil' girl is alone for the first time.:(

23. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

24. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Cute puppy.

You know you need more sleep and to clean your glasses when you read the thread title as Eating a Puppy!!

That and your hungry.

25. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Megans cute, that first photo makes it look like she has bushy "eyebrows"